Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Office / Espionage records

Hi All

In my research, my grandfather has a significant "blackout" from 1937-1945.

I.e. There are no records at all...electoral role/military/marriage/courts/shipping etc.

Within the family it is common (unsubstantiated) knowledge that he was affiliated/worked for the Foreign Office (spy) and/or The Gurkha Regiment.

I have written to the archivist of The Gurkhas, who have no record of him.

How do I find out what he did and where he spent the war?

Thanks.

possibly a daft question but have you sent for his army records ?

Comment

Not sure about "sent for" but in all the usual places: online/Kew/BL he doesn't show up.

Comment

if he has died you can send for his army records take a look at this link

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by bertles86 View Post
          Not sure about "sent for" but in all the usual places: online/Kew/BL he doesn't show up.
          WW2 records are not online anywhere and you need to follow Val's advice and send for records (they cost £30) but since you don't know what service he was in it will be difficult. The War Records at Kew do cover many aspects of the War that were previously kept under wraps but not sure if they would list 'spies' as such.

If you think he worked for the Foreign Office why not write to them to see if they can help, although I suspect Personnel records may not have been kept after 50 years if he was employed as a civilian doing whatever.

Have you any photos of him during that time? a uniform could be identified as could cap badges, medals etc.

Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 28-12-12, 12:17.

Comment

The National Archives have records on those who worked for MI5/6 so worth looking at their records and down loading the appropriate leaflet which will give you some idea as to where to look for these records. Some are in the public domain but not all so it may be better to see if you can find his records as suggested by Val first, as Second W War Records are still with the MOD, and what has been passed down to you may be one of those family myths said to disguise his real disappearance, which might have been Desertion/Conscientious Objector or any other reason. Finding the MOD records first will be a great help in deciding what might have happened to him in reality.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 28-12-12, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              The National Archives have records on those who worked for MI5/6 so worth looking at their records and down loading the appropriate leaflet which will give you some idea as to where to look for these records. Some are in the public domain but not all so it may be better to see if you can find his records as suggested by Val first, as Second W War Records are still with the MOD, and what has been passed down to you may be one of those family myths said to disguise his real disappearance, which might have been Desertion/Conscientious Objector or any other reason. Finding the MOD records first will be a great help in deciding what might have happened to him in reality.

Janet
              Maybe worth checking court records in case he was in jail for any reason.

I suppose in this case it will be a question of ruling out all possibilities before coming to any view as to the truth.

Margaret

Comment

A neighbour of mine was a Brigadier in the Gurkhas and may have some contacts in the records section. If you would like to PM me his name and as many personal details as you know I will ask him.
                People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                X