Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary reed from hornby

hi,

i need some pointers on mary reed b.1797/8 at hornby, yorkshire.
    she married matthew clementson at hurworth on tees, durham in 1815. she was of the parish. they settled at neesham/neasham in hurworth parish. on the census at neasham, mary gived her birthplace as:

1851 census says 'hornsby, yorkshire'
    1861 census says 'hornby, yorkshire'
    1871 census says 'hornsby, yorkshire'

hornby near bedale in yorkshire, is 15 minutes away from neasham. mary died in 1872 at neasham and was buried in hurworth.

my issue is this, familysearch has hornby christenings, and i cannot find any reed's or variants. definently no mary reed born in hornby.

mary has an aunt frances reed b.1773 neasham, she is a neighbour in one census, and died in 1859 at neasham. the relationship of niece is only found in frances' probate on ancestry. so i know mary's family is from neasham, but can anyone help me with finding mary's birth?

Have you gone to bed yet Kyle? .......................... As ever in Genealogy, there are a lot of Mary Reeds to contend with. Did you notice the Ward Family Tree on Ancestry that has a Mary Reed born 15/12/1798 in Kirbymoorside, Yorks.
    Other than that I'm struggling to find anything......sorry:(
    Last edited by AlanC; 23-12-12, 11:15.

Comment

Playing with Hugh Wallis, I don't even see any read/re*d baptized in Hornby in the twenty years around the DOB.

Lots of read/reed in Hurworth, but no Mary in your timeframe.

Comment

thank you for looking. i had wondered if she was christened at hurworth, but i was looking through the bishop's transcripts for 1796-1800 and didn't see any reed's or variants. maybe i can figure it out, if i can find frances baptism?

Comment

Sometimes our ancestors say they are from a place but they are from a wide diameter from that place.
          With parloc you can search a radius of a parish and see the parishes within that radius
          It is a bit difficult to get used to but try looking within 5 miles of the parish then ten miles until you get a hit.

My Welsh Grandfather was continuously telling me in paperwork (census)that he was from Hollyhead but his baptism was miles away in Aberffraw Anglesey where his family originated from, he was born Hollyhead but no paper trail held his birth details.
          They took him back to their own birthplace to baptise him.

Edna

Comment

thankyou for that edna. i'm just at a loss really. there's nothing for her in hornby or hurworth. i don't know if she ever lived anywhere else. i know there are reeds in neasham, so i suppose they are her family. might have to get aunt frances' will? might mention something.

the parish map is a good idea edna.

Comment

Yes, Edna, thanks for the link. Familysearch has another function, which can be complex to use, but it also gives jurisdictions for courts, poor law, etc. It is specifically focused on 1857.
              maps.familysearch.org

Comment

Maybe her family were Methodists or other non-conformists? If that is the case any records there might be could be quite a few miles away because the Methodist 'Circuits' covered bigger areas than Parishes.

Anne

Comment

i had thought about that anne. but i have no idea what circuit hurworth/hornby would be in. there isn't any hits under 'reed', 'read' or 'reid' on non conformist bmd's. that doesn't mean they have hers though.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    Familysearch has another function, which can be complex to use, but it also gives jurisdictions for courts, poor law, etc. It is specifically focused on 1857.
                    maps.familysearch.org
                    Thanks for that, PhotoFamily, it looks really useful.

Comment

I'm not too good on areas but could this Mary be yours ? Mary Reid born 9 7 1797 baptised 13 8 1797 in Ormesby Yorkshire N Riding illigitimate ,mothers name Elizabeth

Comment

ormesby is half an hour away from hornby and hurworth, in middlesbrough. it could be a possibility? it's such a common name though. reed and it's spellings i mean. are ormesby records online anywhere? to see if the entry has any info on residence.

Comment

Working...
                        X