old sapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old sapper

hiya all,i am looking for any information for my wifes uncle,his name was Arnold Aspin born around 1905ish in Salford Lancashire,he had a brother called Thomas Aspin,we think he might of been killed during the war. Ront

Hi,
    There's one on the commonwealth war grave commission site, which is free to use.

Don't know if it's your man or not? Born c 1913, if he gave the correct age of course.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There is a birth registration for Arnold Aspin born 1913 in Salford reg Dist. MMN Parkinson.

I can't see one born c 1905, there's another one reg Blackburn 1911 (too early for MMN to be in the index.)

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There was a Thomas Aspin born in Salford reg dist in 1905 (no MMN given)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

According to Lancashire BMD, it seems the one registered in Blackburn in 1911 was MMN Graham,

Do any of these seem likely?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thomas ASPIN aged 5 in Salford in 1911 census was with parents James Henry and Mary Alice, married 11 years.
            Marriage of James Henry ASPIN in Salford Q3 1900 - one of 2 possible spouses was Alice PARKINSON
            Therefore looks likely that Thomas ASPIN born 1905 and Arnold ASPIN born 1913 were brothers.

There were other siblings on 1911 census:
            William aged 10, Martha Alice aged 8, James aged 7, Nellie aged 3, Harold aged 1 and Robert aged 4 (but wonder as he was listed last whether age should have been 4 months).

Update - no I looked at birth index and Robert ASPIN was born 1906 so was indeed 4 years old, just listed out of sequence.
            Last edited by JudithM; 22-12-12, 23:10. Reason: update
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

correct family

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Thomas ASPIN aged 5 in Salford in 1911 census was with parents James Henry and Mary Alice, married 11 years.
              Marriage of James Henry ASPIN in Salford Q3 1900 - one of 2 possible spouses was Alice PARKINSON
              Therefore looks likely that Thomas ASPIN born 1905 and Arnold ASPIN born 1913 were brothers.

There were other siblings on 1911 census:
              William aged 10, Martha Alice aged 8, James aged 7, Nellie aged 3, Harold aged 1 and Robert aged 4 (but wonder as he was listed last whether age should have been 4 months).

Update - no I looked at birth index and Robert ASPIN was born 1906 so was indeed 4 years old, just listed out of sequence.
              this is the family,i posted 1905 as i had no idea of the date thought it might be close to Thomas ( my wifes grandad )it!s arnold i am tracing,we think he was killed during world war 2,thank you for your help Ront

Comment

Here's a possible record for a WW2 death. It's the only Arnold or A. Aspin.

Death at the age of 30 in 1943 gives dob of 1913 which was found by Judith.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you for your help with this search,i have now found that Arnold was on the SS Yoma which sank in June 1943,torpedoed,i have also found that he is commemorated at Brookwood Memorial in Surrey,i am now trying to get some sevice history and any medals he might have had Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X