Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr

I know I've found it before BUT
    how do you usually cite a UK census page????

When you view the transcription of the census (rather than the image of the census), if you scroll down you will see the source citatation just under the transcription details.
    Elaine

Comment

Yes, but there's a concise way of writing it?
      Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 141; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Camborne; County: Cornwall; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 50; Page: 6; Line: 12; GSU roll: 241263.
      is way too long, and I think some of it is dropped off?
      HO107/141/5/16/50
      Is that all I need?
      thanks
      just took the cheese cake out of the oven, it has to cool before I can put it in the fridge, then I can go to bed...

Comment

The academic way of citing a census reference (as I was taught it) is suggested as .. :

• Source, year
        • Country
        • Place (Parish, County, Parish no., Registration no.)
        • Enumeration District and/or GROS Data string (for Scotland)
        • Page
        • Name of person cited or if citing information about a household, name of Head of Household.
        • How/when last accessed

So you end up with something like:

Census (1861) England, Hampstead Middlesex. ED 5 Page 35 . YOUNG, Archibald. www.ancestry.co.uk.
        Last Accessed 26 Feb 2012.

Ultimately though all that matters is that you, or more importantly someone else, could find the exact reference you are using later if looking at or continuing your research.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, Elaine & Antony

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            Thanks, Elaine & Antony
            am liking the TNG Sarah...

I just usually copy and paste the whole shebang into that persons 'not facts' page but a similar thing, [I can't find the word for it at the moment] so i'll have a page for say William Brown, and then i'll have individual census years from their birth to their death, but each census would have its own citation attached to that person. [if that makes sense!]
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I must admit that I started off with just the initial ref and piece number - but discovered fairly quickly that that was totally inadequate! My refs now look like this:

1841 HO107/385 bk 3 fo 9 p 12
              1851 HO107/1679 fo 206 p 18
              1861 RG9/704 fo 170 p 6
              1871 RG10/1226 fo 66 p 1
              1881 RG11/1246 fo 79 p 15
              and so on.

For economy of space, I usually omit the spaces. It looks like gobbledegook, but is easily split up into its components.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-12-12, 22:02.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks, again.

Cheesecake was good (a little underdone in the center...), and I've started to update my citations.

Merry Christmas !

Comment

I asked FMP if I could copy their transcription into the person's "notes" in my database and they said "no problem" so that's what I do. The reference is enough to find the entry if you have a current subscription and a working internet connection but I find it's much more convenient to have the actual data posted alongside all the other data.
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

FH, via the census data entry tool Ancestral Sources, records the citation as part of the title of the source, and also as a field labelled "Publication Information". I've decided to put the details in the latter (similar to your suggestion, webwiz - thank you), and a short hand in the title. I had sloughed doing this when I was entering all these census records, and it seemed liked a perfect time while baking - cheesecake takes quite a while!

And then there's that whole memory game - I would have said I had seen in the FTF reference section a breakdown of an abbreviated form of citation. Probably a figment of my imagination :o

Thanks, Julie - come visiting whenever you like - it's a work in progress
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 24-12-12, 01:10.

Comment

Working...
                    X