Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'CA' on Parish Records for Baptisms

Hello

I am working my way through a batch of Parish Records. The letters CA are appearing on a lot of the Baptisms.
    Does it stand for C? Attestant?

If not, does anyone know what it does stand for please?

Many thanks
    Debbs

Can you give us an example?
    Anne

Comment

Could it possibly be the initials of the vicar?
      Elaine

Comment

No I dont think its the vicar as females are also listed.CA.jpg

Comment

Hmmmm. It would usually stand for "about" as in a date.

In this case it seems to precede a list of people who are probably the Godparents of the child being baptised. No sure what it stands for!

Anne

Comment

Oooh ... which parish is this list from, please. I've spotted an EAST on there (my One Name Study!)

Anne

Comment

This is Aston Rowant in Oxfordshire. Yes I agree as I also think its something to do with a Godparent type role.

Comment

east.JPGtheres quite few Easts in this one register, I'll have a look at the others too

Comment

Thanks Debss but don't go to any trouble. I've just had a look at our database and it looks as though someone has already extracted the EASTs from Aston Rowant. Interestingly some are listed as Godparents! (not a category we usually have acces to!) there are loads of EASTs!!

Anne

Comment

The "Ca." references do all look as if they precede godparent names.

I spent some time forcing my brain to own up to another word for Godparent... I knew it was there... but it's "Sponsor"... which doesn't start "Ca". "Patron" is similarly disbarred.

The only thing I can think of is something based on "caritas", but that would suggest that the records were in Latin - and there's no reason I can think of for parish registers to be in Latin in 1671.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What exactly is the document? It can't be an original PR from 1671 as it is typed or type-set. If it is a transcription try to see the original or double check the transcription against an on-line PR if you can find a match.
                      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                        What exactly is the document? It can't be an original PR from 1671 as it is typed or type-set. If it is a transcription try to see the original or double check the transcription against an on-line PR if you can find a match.
                        Well-commented! It was my own reaction, but I didn't hink to post that fact!

I was assuming that the "Ca." was an abbreviation devised by the transcriber... but still couldn't think what it was meant to be!

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Trouble is .... Oxfordshire PRs are not very often easily available except from the County Archives.

Anne

Comment

According to Genealogy Abbreviations at:

ca means Circa which is about but does it make sense in the context above?

I wonder does it have anything to do with Common Era which is interfaith rather than the Christian use of AD?

This is what wikipedia says about Common Era.

"Anno Domini is sometimes referred to as the Common Era, Christian Era, or Current Era (abbreviated as C.E. or CE). CE is often preferred by those who desire a term that does not explicitly use religious titles."

Also just found this on Wikipedia which indicates ca as having the meaning circa.

"The Jewish historian Josephus, in his Antiquities of the Jews (ca. AD 93), indicates that Cyrenius/Quirinius' governorship of Syria began in AD 6, and that the census occurred sometime between AD 6—7"

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 20-12-12, 20:51.

Comment

Common Era .... I don't think they did that in the 1600s, did they?

The Ca. doesn't seem to be anything to do with the date. It appears with each baptism record after the name of the child and its parents and immediately before the 3 (usually) names of people who we presume are the Godparents.

Its interesting no-one has come up with any definite answer to this!

Anne

Comment

These are from a purchased set of pr's from Oxford FHS

Comment

Wonder if it should be "PA" for Patrini aderant which means "Godparents/sponsors present".

You would of course have to look at the original record to check this theory!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                  X