Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you record . . .

Specifically,
    Wills & Probate - assuming the one followed the other - do you create separate database entries, one for the date of the will, one for the date the will was proved?

Marriage, Allegation and Bond Do you just stuff the Allegation & Bond (if by license) in with the Marriage record, or do you create separate source records and events for each of them?

I guess I really know the answer to this question, but I'm about to change the way I record wills, and the temptation is to just not record an event for the writing of the will, just throw it into the probate.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-12, 03:40.

With regard to wills & probate, I always record the date of the will and any codicils that were made separately to the date of probate. Often there are only a matter of days between the two but in the case of several years and the absence of expected beneficiaries it has helped me pinpoint the death of one of the testator's children, (or just to scratch my head and wonder why the long delay!).

Comment

I havent had an ancestor who left a Will so the problem doesnt arise but my simple advice is, it's your Tree and record detail where the software allows since 'Trees' differ so much.

Comment

As Alan says .... its your tree!

However my inclination is to keep the number of different events simple BUT make detailed notes with the event. So I would keep anything to do with the will as one event but would make notes of all the dates within that.

I know that's way too casual for some people .....but its my tree!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          I havent had an ancestor who left a Will so the problem doesnt arise but my simple advice is, it's your Tree and record detail where the software allows since 'Trees' differ so much.
          Alan - they hid them. It may be that you just haven't found any yet! Also, I have a "will" from a family bible that never went to probate - it was really just directions to his children to share & share alike. I looked long & hard thru several courts looking for it - a cousin finally shared it.

Yes, the tree is mine, but I'd like to have proper bookkeeping.

I actually have a g'g'g'uncle whose will dated from 20 years before his death. His two executors (his wife and his sister-in-law) had ore-deceased him. His lawyer had not, nor one of the witnesses (my g'grandfather, his brother-in-law). He essentially died intestate, had to have hearings, etc.

Allegations & bonds are much cleaner - they could only happen a short time before the wedding!
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-12, 16:06.

Comment

One of mine's will didn't go to Probate until 25 years AFTER his death! Only found it by luck

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              One of mine's will didn't go to Probate until 25 years AFTER his death! Only found it by luck

Anne
              Wow, Anne - what held it up?

Comment

One common reason is that all the executors predeceased the testator or refused for some reason to administer the estate.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                  Wow, Anne - what held it up?
                  There was a business, which his wife ran until her death (25 years later!) and I think they just didn't bother to sort it out until then! That's the only reason I can think of anyway.
                  Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X