Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baffled by 1911 census

Hi

Please can you have a look at this one for me, my eyes are spinning round my head.

My problem is that it states married 14 years (correct within a few months 1896) - 6 born - 4 died - 2 living, all with me so far..... but names 6 children on the form

frederick john - 1897
    george alfred - 1899
    alfred john - 1901
    Harriet - 1905
    frederick john - 1907
    henry - 1910

still with me......
    ok

certs etc give me

frederick john the first - 1896 and dies 1899 age 3
    george alfred - 1898 lived to 77
    alfred john - 1900 lived to age 79
    Harriet - 1904 (grandmother) lived to age 84
    frederick john the second - 1907 and dies 1909 age 2
    Henry - 1909 and dies in 1909 age 3 months

so why have they put 3 children on the census that have died and not put 6 born 3 living 3 died.

Is there anything they could have gained by doing this ???

In the 1901 they only have alfred john and say he is 8, when he was not even a year old ? (George alfred is with grandparents)

Lorraine

Originally posted by loltel View Post
    Hi

In the 1901 they only have alfred john and say he is 8, when he was not even a year old ? (George alfred is with grandparents)

I haven't looked at the original image yet but could it be they listed Alfred John as 8 months old?
    Update, I've just found the 1901 - clearly reads 8 in age column but could still be that he was listed as 8 months on household schedule and enumerator copied it wrongly into his book.
    Last edited by JudithM; 17-12-12, 22:11.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Looks as if maths wasn't their strong point! The red numbers have been added by the ennumerator who was clearly as confused as you are.

Seriously though .... I have seen a few return sheets which (very helpfully!!) list the dead children as well as the living. The numbers still don't add up though!

anne

Comment

There was another thread recently about ancestors who put the entire family on the page - not just the living and the dead, but also those whose homes were no longer with their parents.

As to why they couldn't keep track of the number of living, and the number of dead - ??, math, depression, sorrow, denial - we'll never know. But they weren't far off
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-12, 01:05.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          There was another thread recently about ancestors who put the entire family on the page - not just the living and the dead, but also those whose homes were no longer with their parents.
          my 2nd great grandparents did that in 1911. very helpful! but still one dead child and the name is so common i'll never know!

Comment

I can't follow your link as I subscribe to FMP not Ancestry. I can have a look at FMP if you give me enough data to search for them, eg name and age of head and name of wife.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

There was one on Heir Hunters today (a repeat) where the 1911 census declaration said 3 children, 2 dead. In fact all 3 were alive and the eventual beneficiary was a child of one of the "dead" children.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                I can't follow your link as I subscribe to FMP not Ancestry. I can have a look at FMP if you give me enough data to search for them, eg name and age of head and name of wife.
                Thanks webwiz

I have all the certs etc and know which ones "were alive" at the time, one was my husbands nan and he knew the other 2 uncles.

At first i couldnt work out why they were listed and thought i had all the deaths wrong.
                Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  There was one on Heir Hunters today (a repeat) where the 1911 census declaration said 3 children, 2 dead. In fact all 3 were alive and the eventual beneficiary was a child of one of the "dead" children.
                  Thanks uncle john i shall play that back and have a nosey, I suppose it was just confusion on all parts or some strange thinking that a true declaration might impact on them somehow.

It will certainly make me double check some of my missing/disappeared and "where the heck did you spring froms" i have in my trees

Thanks

lorraine
                  Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                  X