Royal Artillery Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Artillery Search

Does anyone know how I can do a search for those in the Royal Artillery when the only infomation I have to go on is a name of Mathew/Matthew Lennon/Lennan and sometime between 1800-1860? With the man possibly being born in Armagh, Ireland in an estimated year of 1790?

I found the name on the death record of his son and it said that the father was in the Royal Artillery but I've not been able to find anything on him or his wife Mary Mackay and it's seriously annoying me now.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Your best bet is looking in FMP for attestation/pension papers. But that's awfully early... Beyond that - muster records, which means research at TNA. Ann Swabey is very knowledgeable about these things

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Artillery this may help with the regiment

Edna

Comment

Cheers I shall have a search.

Comment

If his papers aren't on FMP then there should be some records for him at the National Archives, but without knowing which unit of the RA he was in, it's a nightmare and mammoth search! (worse than RE's, Sarah!)
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Surely it would be the irish one?

Comment

No, Lennon - could be any!
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Oh right, sorry. I did an FMP search and I only found 1 irish Lennon and it certainly can't be my Matthew as it's the year 1801 and he'd only be around 10 or 11 at most.

Comment

He could have joined at that age, or even younger!

Comment

I think there was (at least) one other thread that discussed age on enlistment. I think the younger boys were often drummers? I have one that enlisted in the 1850s when he was shy of 15 yrs.

Wikipedia has some nice write ups about the Victorian era, later than your man, but still, read the enlistment info.
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-12-12, 18:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X