Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Charles King/Thomas Chiswell King tragedian/actor 1818-1893

Hello everyone
    I am researching TC King and have found lots of information via Google on him, but I'm wanting BMD/Census information to confirm details. I cannot find his marriage though it is suggested he married in 1840. He and wife Eliza are on the 1841 in Cheltenham, he was born in 1818 in Gloucestershire, probably in Twyning. Eliza possibly came from Clifton in Somerset and her surname might be Chiswell, as he changed his middle name to that then and it is suggested it was her maiden name.
    He had two daughters Kathleen, who married Arthur Lloyd and Bessie, who was a King certainly until 1891, when her sister died and she is named in the Obituary record. I would love to find Bessie somewhere!!!! She was on the stage for a while so might have travelled around.
    Thomas lived all over the place as he toured in New York, Canada, and in the UK: York, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Manchester, London, and in 1851 in Dublin and again in 1867. Is there any way of getting Dublin census records I wonder.
    The 1841 and 1871 are the only Census records I can find.
    I know Thomas died in 1893, he was living in Kings Heath, but was buried in Claines, Worcester.
    Any help / ideas gratefully received!
    Rachel

The only surviving census records for Dublin are 1901 and 1911.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, but disappointing news, but I thought that was the case!
      Rachel

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      The only surviving census records for Dublin are 1901 and 1911.

Margaret

Comment

There is an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - says he had two daughters and a son.
        The only child I can see on any census in Kathleen - do you know when/where Bessie was born and do you know anything about the son?
        Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine
          Yes indeed, Harry was born in 1850 and died in 1870, Kathleen Olive was born in 1851 and died in 1891, she married Arthur Rice Lloyd; Elizabeth/Bessie I think was born in 1856 and she was alive and single at her sister's funeral and erected the memorial to her father and mother in Claines Churchyard after Oct 1893. I cannot find Harry or Bessie's births. All 3 children were on the stage, Kathleen, known as Katty had a very active career. Her husband Arthur was very famous.
          Thanks,
          Rachel

Comment

How about

18/20 Ashfield Road, Kings Heath, Worcestershire, England
            RG12; Piece: 2350; Folio: 21; Page: 36
            Occ Actor
            Thomas C King 63 Widower Born Ireland
            Elizabeth King 35 Born Ireland
            Foster Gough 55 Visitor
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have you looked at our Theatre & Entertainment page in the reference library - to see if any of the websites mentioned are of help.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
                Yes I had tracked that down and am fairly confident it is the correct family, but this is part of the reason I need to look at BMDs and other Censuses, he was born in Gloucestershire, not Ireland, and the year of birth is 1818 recorded elsewhere -also he was certainly touring B'Ham in 1856, not Dublin so think Bessie was born in the UK - so many if, buts and maybes!!! I have all the anecdotal/website info, but it is all so contradictory and doesn't help much re the children.
                Rachel

Comment

Katty and Harry, was looking for something near a census

Headline: ST. JAMES'S HALL.
                  Publication:Liverpool Daily Post
                  Publication date:Wednesday 29 December 1869
                  Miss Katty King, and Mr. Harry King duettista

loads if you are able to search the papers
                  Last edited by Elaine; 13-12-12, 21:29.
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hello Elaine
                    There are yillions aren't there!!!! The newspapers are good and Kathleen's obituary is interesting, I had read that, I'll keep looking for the BMDs, but I am building up a bit of a picture for sure, T C King and Eliza are buried in our Churchyard and the Music Hall Guild are going to refurbish his memorial, hence my interest.
                    Thanks again, Rachel

Comment

Working...
                    X