A mystery solved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mystery solved?

I'm sure many of you know that I have many men by the name of John Phillips in my tree but one of them is such a mystery. He's at the top of the Phillips tree being married to Mary Younger with 3 children:
    John Jr born in 1820-1895
    Ann born in 1822
    Sarah born in 1825.

After that I can find no more records of John Sr. There's been a story going around the family that we had a criminal somewhere in the 17/18th century and the name Durham Prison was mentioned. Anyway to get to the point of this little thing, John was born in around 1790, Thornaby-On-Tees. His wife Mary was born in Haughton-le-spring as were the children. Anyway I've been searching for a connection for a while on Google now but the only thing that I found was a John in London that was innocently involved in the attack of a man for his watch. When I read the report I found that John wasn't actually involved in the attack at all.

Anyway I've just found a Criminal Acquital record on Ancestry ((I know I'm an idiot for not search it before)) that has a trial date of 2nd May 1846 and I was wondering if someone would please have a look at the image and see what he was charged for? I know this is one very long message but I'm literally grasping at thin air here.

Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

John Phillips, aged 53
    Date of trial 2 March 1846
    West Riding Sessions Wakefield
    Offence - Larceny from the Person
    Not Guilty.
    Elaine

Comment

Extract from the Leeds Times - Saturday 07 March 1846
      John Phillips for stealing 6 half crowns at Bradford, the property of James Haley.
      Elaine

Comment

John Phillips - under the column Degree of instruction W or N (I think) - age 53 - West Riding Sefsions (looks like) Wakefield, 3rd sarch (or possibly 2rd) - Larceny from the person - Not Guilty

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks guys. I wonder if it's just another rumour like everything else in this blasted family.

Comment

you said the event was likey 17th/18th century, so it is unlikely to be your phillip b.1790. if it is indeed 1600's, you have a lot of work cut out for you!

Comment

Sarah

do you have John sr on ANY census at all?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                Sarah

do you have John sr on ANY census at all?
                Nup I don't. I found the name of the parents through FamilySearch and it matched the tree that other relatives had done. I have John Jr in the 1881 census aged 65 in 37 Jameson/Jamieson Street, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough.

Here's the marraige of Mary and John:
                Last edited by lennon2011; 16-12-12, 15:28.

Comment

Working...
                X