Edward John Dyer Plumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward John Dyer Plumber

My uncle Edward (Ted) John Dyer was a plumber in the 1960s/1970s in Camden Town, London, and I am trying to find out where his plumbing was located. Any suggestions as to where I can look please. Started to look at Trade Directories unsuccessfully and generally googling again unsuccessfully.

Thank you

Do you think he had a business address or just worked from home, like most plumbers do?

Comment

From my dim and distant memory I think he had a shop and possibly lived above it. I think I know the road, which was Fortress Road, Camden Town, but no idea of the number which is the key point for me.

Comment

Perhaps the Electoral Roll is a way forward. You'd probably need to go to a library in Camden to look at them - too recent for the Ancestry transcription. The Ancestry transcription of Phone Books might also finish too early.
        Last edited by Uncle John; 12-12-12, 13:40.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ancestry's electoral rolls now go up to 1965. The 1953 Camden, Holborn and St Pancras register has him at 120 Fortress Road. There is a female there as well, same surname which may be his wife although I'm reluctant to put the details on here in case the person is still living. There is also a third person, different surname who has an S next to the name which apparently indicates that they are a 'service voter'

He's still there in 1961 with the same female and a different male - same surname
          Jackie

Comment

Brilliant thank you. Took me a time to find it but have done now. Unfortunately all of those named are now dead and have been for many years. Thank you for the explanation of the "S" and by the words "service voter" I am assuming that it is someone in the services. Edward does have an additional "J" after his name and I wondered if you knew what that might have stood for, if anything?

Thanks again

Comment

You're welcome. It looks as though its a Pizza Hut now - you can see the property on Google maps street view.

'J' indicates 'liability for service as juror'. Usually the explanations are in the first few pages of the registers
              Jackie

Comment

Thanks for the additional explanation. You made me smile at it being a Pizza Hut, I don't know why, but just not what I expected! Thanks

Comment

Ive only just got back on here, but I was going to suggest ancestrys phone books too. But as you have now found him ..........

Comment

Working...
                  X