British Army WWI Service Records on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army WWI Service Records on Ancestry

A search on Herbert Scrace produces one result. Could some kind person have a look at the record for me? I would paricularly like next-of-kin, and anything else that looks interesting.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

From what I can see next of kin is his wife Mrs E. R Scrace.

There are 46 pages!

I can email these to you tomorrow if you like?? Always more fun to look through yourself :-)
    Lauren =)

Comment

Originally posted by LaurenS1990 View Post
      From what I can see next of kin is his wife Mrs E. R Scrace.

There are 46 pages!
      Just to add to what Lauren has written, his widow was Elizabeth Rose Scrace. I had a quick look through the pages & can't see any other names apart from an F Smith who was a sister of Elizabeth & wrote a letter on her behalf.
      Moggie

Comment

Don't forget that by using the information in the service record in conjunction with the battalion war diaries (and other records) at the National Archives it should be possible to find the details of where he was at the time he died and possibly the actual circumstances of the action he was involved in.... can be really fascinating, if poignant, stuff.

He is of course also listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site (www.cwgc.org)
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks everyone. I had tentatively identified his wife as Elizabeth Rose Oakley, so this pretty much confirms it. If F. Smith is her sister then Smith must be her married name. Lauren, I have sent you a PM.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
          X