Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Largey - where did he disappear to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Largey - where did he disappear to?

Hi all. James Largey is/was my Great Grandfather. Here are the details I know.
    DOB 10/9/1869
    His father was James Largey(also)
    His mother was Alice Maguire
    He married Mary Magee on 19/9/1896 in St Patrick's RC church,Belfast.
    He appears on the 1911 Irish census living in 78 Fortingale Street, aged 42.
    He disappears off the radar after this date. I can find no record of him marrying again(he is a widower by 1911), no record of his death or no record of him fathering any more children(unlikely, I know at 42 but certainly not impossible).
    I am wondering if he moved to Great Britain or further afield sometime after 1911.
    Any info/leads would be great.

Thanks.
    Paul.

Hi Paul,

I am not sure if you have discounted this marriage.

From ancestry - Ireland Civil Regs for Marriaged 1845-1958

James Largey March Q 1911, Belfast vol 1 page 461
    FHL film # 101262
    There are four possible brides.

Also from ancestry - WW1 Service Records
    James Largey , Regt # 4846, 3 ? Royal Irish Rifles , reenlisted 18 May 1903 for four years.
    Wife Mary, deceased, nok - son Edward
    Address 78 Fortingale Street, Belfast.

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi Bcbrit,
      Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I did 'kind of' discount this marriage in March quarter, because the 1911 census was taken at the very end of March 1911 or the start of April 1911(I can't remember which) so my logic is that he would have recorded himself as husband/married instead of widower.but when you say there are 4 possible brides, are their names recorded? Is there a Mary Devlin by any chance?
      The Army sevice record on Ancestry is really interesting. I had no idea he had been a soldier, although when I think of it, he does not appear on the 1901 Irish census! Is there any more details whatsoever about his Army service?

Thanks again.
      Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul,

The possible brides are Margaret Clarke, Bridget Moan, Priscilla Wells Reid, Jane Shannon.

The army record that I found had 8 or 9 pages. The pages were missing the lower right hand of the sheets. Do you have ancestry ?

If not, you can sign up for a 14 day trial for free, but you do have to have a credit card, and you must remember to cancel before the end of the 14 days. Alternatively your local library may carry ancestry.

A couple of other suggestions - have you tried tracing him through the voters lists/ electoral rolls ? Have you gone sideways through his siblings in the hopes that they may know of him ? I also wonder if it is worth getting in touch with the Royal Irish Rifles and seeing if they have any info on him ?

I will root around again tonight, and see if I can find anything else out.

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi Paul,

On the Commonwealth Graves site there is a death for a J. Largey.

He may not be yours, but if he reenlisted for WW1 ? My g.grandfather was born in 1872 and was in WW1.

Anyway - J. Largey
          Private. Reg # 23826
          1st Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
          d. 1st July 1916

I am afraid that I can't find anything else on him.

bcbrit

Comment

Hi Bcbrit, thanks for getting back to me again. I delved further into James Largey's military service and discovered the following

He served in the part-time militia of the Royal Irish Rifles (3rd Battalion). Service was for four years at a time, so he probably first joined in 1899, as he renewed in 1903. He attended annual camps until 1908. In 1908 the militia became part of the part-time special reserve and James served with the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles from 28th June 1908. He attended annual camps until 1910 and then ended his service on 16th May 1911.

Once again, the trail goes cold in 1911!!

I am aware of the J Largey who died in WW1 in 1916.But SDGW(Soldiers Died Great War) records the following details

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 Name:John LargeyDeath Date:1 Jul 1916Death Location France & Flanders Enlistment Location:Newcastle-on-tyneRank:PrivateRegiment:Royal Inniskilling FusiliersBattalion:1st BattalionNumber:23826Type of Casualty:Killed in actionTheatre of War:Western European Theatre

I also have J Largey's GRO reference as follows,

Name: LARGEY, John
            Unit: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
            Number: 23826
            Year: 1916
            Volume : I.74
            Page: 33
            Record source: GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

However I am advised that the death cert will not contain details of his next of kin or the family address, so no new info available from that source!
            I'll just keep searching. Thanks again Bcbrit for your time and help. I appreciate it.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
            X