Help with Oxfordshire research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Oxfordshire research

If anyone is going to the Oxford Records Office,would it be possible for a quick look up please
    I am looking for information on Arthur Holden & wife Agnes who once lived on Ridgefield Road.

Any information would be greatly appreciated
    TIA
    Ted (AU)

Hi, Baldy.

It will probably help anyone researching on your behalf if you can add in some idea of the dates you have in mind for when the HOLDENs were living in Oxford.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      Hi, Baldy.

It will probably help anyone researching on your behalf if you can add in some idea of the dates you have in mind for when the HOLDENs were living in Oxford.

Christine
      Thank you for the reply
      Here is the problem
      They were both born in Scotland,when they moved to Oxford i do not know.The information that I have/had is that he worked for the Morris Car Company & lived in/on Ridgefield Road.Believe that Agnes died C:1990,do not when Arthur died .

Thanks again
      Ted (AU)
      Last edited by Baldy; 09-12-12, 04:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
        They were both born in Scotland,when they moved to Oxford i do not know.The information that I have/had is that he worked for the Morris Car Company & lived in/on Ridgefield Road.Believe that Agnes died C:1901,do not when Arthur died .

Thanks again
        Ted (AU)
        Ted, I wonder, since you don't have specifics, if this would be better in the Research Advice forum?

There are no Agnes Holdens in FreeBMD for 1901.

Their DOBs (or estimates) would be useful.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-12-12, 04:06.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Ted, I wonder, since you don't have specifics, if this would be better in the Research Advice forum?

There are no Agnes Holdens in FreeBMD for 1901.

Their DOBs (or estimates) would be useful.
          I REALLY do have to apologize--I have looked again at the noted information that I have;& it stated that she was born in c:-1901 in Dumfries Scotland.& she died in 1990 in Blackburn

From the hand written information it states the she married in 194????? & i assume that the last figure is/was a 2.

Regarding Arthur :----
          The only thing that is written is that he was born C:--- 1892 in Dumfries Scotland

The other thing written is that he worked for the Morris car company in Oxford (possibly as a spray painter) & they lived at Ridgefield road Oxford

Here the information that I have ends.

Again thank you for the reply
          Regards
          Ted (AU)
          Last edited by Baldy; 09-12-12, 04:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
            If anyone is going to the Oxford Records Office,would it be possible for a quick look up please
            I am looking for information on Arthur Holden & wife Agnes who once lived on Ridgefield Road.
            Hi, Ted -
            I still think these questions fit the "Research Advice" section better than Research Requests. It's located here:

It would be useful to have Agnes' maiden name, if you know it.

Ancestry's index for the 1901 Census shows Arthur Holden, born abt 1892, son of William (and Jane) Holden, in 46 Friars Vennel, Dumfries - Is that your man?
            There is also a WWI Attestation of Arthur Holden, 16 Greyfriar St, Dumfries, age 23 & 58 days to be in the Machine Gun Corps.

The death index that might fit: Julia Agnes Holden, born 1906, died Jan 1989, Blackburn, Lancashire. You'll need to order the cert for more details.

More people will respond to the thread if you post in the other section. Someone might be able to check at the RO for the death I just listed with just that info.

good luck!
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-12-12, 02:20.

Comment

Ted, I've moved your thread over to our Research forum to see if anyone else can help.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Ted

I'll be happy to help with this when I visit the records office at the end of this month ( I have 2 weeks off work so plenty of time to go!)

What info exactly is it that you are looking for?

Lauren x
                Lauren =)

Comment

Hi, Ted -
                  I still think these questions fit the "Research Advice" section better than Research Requests. It's located here:

It would be useful to have Agnes' maiden name, if you know it.

Ancestry's index for the 1901 Census shows Arthur Holden, born abt 1892, son of William (and Jane) Holden, in 46 Friars Vennel, Dumfries - Is that your man?
                  There is also a WWI Attestation of Arthur Holden, 16 Greyfriar St, Dumfries, age 23 & 58 days to be in the Machine Gun Corps.

The death index that might fit: Julia Agnes Holden, born 1906, died Jan 1989, Blackburn, Lancashire. You'll need to order the cert for more details.

More people will respond to the thread if you post in the other section. Someone might be able to check at the RO for the death I just listed with just that info.

good luck!
                  Thank you for the reply
                  The maiden name for Agnes was Beattie (Agnes Mary) believe that he was a spray painter for the Morris car company on Oxford.My information is not the best as it was written in lead pencil,which is fading.
                  Sorry that I do not have any better information

Regards
                  Ted (AU)

Comment

I think perhaps the death you are looking at Ted is the Agnes Mary Holden born 7th May 1901 - Died Sept 1990 in Blackburn Lancashire. Do you know for a fact that this is your ancestor as I can find no corresponding birth in Scotland under the name Beattie.
                    The nearest one is a Mary Agnes Beattie born 16th April 1900 in St Mungo Dumfries and her parents were John Beattie, a Mason (Journeyman) and Mary Agnes Beattie nee Irving. There is no death that fits for her under Holden though in Blackburn.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I can only find one birth of a Holden with mmn Beattie in England and I can't find a death for him, so I can't add the details here. He has got a first name that I know is favoured by Scottish people though. It's in 1952 in Worthing Sussex though.

Comment

There is one birth in Scotland that comes up in 1950 with the name Holden and his second Christian name is Beattie but that's in Kilwinning in Ayr. I can't post his name either though as I can't find a death.

Comment

Does anyone have access to directories for the area, that could trace the family forward?

Ted, sounds like you don't think the death in 1989 in Blackburn is yours? You might ask Lauren what she can find out about it.

Comment

Does anyone have access to directories for the area, that could trace the family forward?

Ted, sounds like you don't think the death in 1989 in Blackburn is yours? You might ask Lauren what she can find out about it.
                            They hold the directories at the Records Office. Will be happy to look later this month :-)
                            Lauren =)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              I think perhaps the death you are looking at Ted is the Agnes Mary Holden born 7th May 1901 - Died Sept 1990 in Blackburn Lancashire. Do you know for a fact that this is your ancestor as I can find no corresponding birth in Scotland under the name Beattie.
                              The nearest one is a Mary Agnes Beattie born 16th April 1900 in St Mungo Dumfries and her parents were John Beattie, a Mason (Journeyman) and Mary Agnes Beattie nee Irving. There is no death that fits for her under Holden though in Blackburn.

Hi Chrissie
                              Thank you for the reply.
                              Agnes was a daughter of James Watret(d) Beattie,she had a sister named Margaret Holmes Beattie & 4 brothers.He mother was Sarah Thomson Seaton,all born in Dumfries Scotland.
                              The research that I have on the family sofar confirms that she was born in 1901,Margaret born 1907.Margaret (nick named Peg)married a William Pyle.

Regards
                              Ted (AU)

Comment

I'm really confused now Ted. Doing a search of marriages anywhere in Scotland from 1914 to 1950 between a Holden and a Beattie I can only find two. One is Charles Arthur Holden to Agnes Coltart Beattie in 1942 in Dumfries and the other is a Peter Holden to an Agnes Peebles Beattie in 1943 in Symington/Ayr.
                                The Charles Arthur one sounds the most like the one you have described but I can find no birth for a Charles Arthur Holden in Scotland. The most likely death and birth would be a Charles Arthur Holden born 8th September 1915 who died in Oxford in 1982. He appears to have been born in Huntingdon though mmn Tysoe. The birth for Agnes Coltart Beattie wasn't until 1918 in Dumfries.

Can you tell us please exactly what certificates etc you have that have lead you to Arthur and Agnes in your research.

Comment

Just a reminder... these birth dates are getting a bit recent. Make sure that possibly-living names are kept off the open forum, please, won't you.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                  X