Mary Ann Louisa Cruise Congdon c 1845

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Louisa Cruise Congdon c 1845

I'm just transcribing her marriage in Liverpool 1866 and as I often do, speculate on the detail in The Register. In this instance her address is "The Workhouse" yet her father's occupation is that of a Commander in The Royal Navy and I wonder what's happened here.
    I dont want anyone researching the lady, it's just one of those occassions when I stop and think about the person(s) instead of blindly transcribing names as I see them.

Very easy to get sidetracked with this hobby, particularly when you find entries like that!
    Elaine

Comment

Unless you could prove otherwise, he father might well be figment of her imagination, or if he did exist her mother might have died while he was at sea

Congdon doesn't seem to exist, Conchan being the best I can find. (IOM)
      Last edited by Jessbowbag; 09-12-12, 07:46.
      Jess

Comment

The bride's signature is of a nice writing style as is a witness of the same name but as said earlier, I'm not researching the lady.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          I'm just transcribing her marriage in Liverpool 1866 and as I often do, speculate on the detail in The Register. In this instance her address is "The Workhouse" yet her father's occupation is that of a Commander in The Royal Navy and I wonder what's happened here.
          I dont want anyone researching the lady, it's just one of those occassions when I stop and think about the person(s) instead of blindly transcribing names as I see them.
          Perhaps she was a worker there?
          Margaret

Comment

Anything is possible Margaret. It's nice to see members suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
              It's also sparked the curiosity in me! (But no serious research undertaken).
              If this plea on another forum site is accurate, there maybe a suggestion of a debtors prison for the parent(s). I see a possible candidate on the Navy List - perhaps he was on half pay for some time?
              Last edited by keldon; 09-12-12, 14:55.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

It's probably the right family. Looking at the link, it's dated 2007 and an enquiry into someone also looking at the bride's parentage.

Comment

Working...
                X