Somebody's mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody's mother

I wonder if anyone can help me try to find what happened to this woman? Known facts are:
    • Edith (no middle name) Ainsworth, b. 5 Jan 1900 in Derby, Christened 30 Jan 1900, d/o Victor, a stonemason and his wife Ann. Found her with her parents and siblings in 1901 and 1911 in Derby.
    • In April 1927 she marries Frank Eley at Derby Registry Office and between then and 1941 they have six children.
    • Sometime in the early 1940s Frank and Edith split up, with the children being brought up by Frank and his parents.

Then there are family stories about how Edith (a) lived for a while in Horsley Woodhouse, Derbyshire; (b) was buried with one of her brothers; and (c) moved to Australia.

One of Edith's daughters would like to know where she's buried, but first, of course, we have to find out where she died.

I've searched the death indexes in the UK for Edith Ainsworth and Edith Eley, but there's no result that comes up with the correct birth date of 5 Jan 1900. I've then searched Ancestry for deaths of women called Edith NoSurname (because she could have re-married) with a birthdate of 5 Jan 1900 and there are about half a dozen possibiltiies which I'll try to follow up via trees on Ancestry.

If (c) above was true (and let's face it, who knows - it might just have been a story to quieten an inquisitive child) can anyone help with any Australian searches, or have any ideas about where else I might try, please? Or is it just a wild goose chase?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

There are so many possibilities in cases like this - she may have died with a different surname altogether or the person registering the death may not have known her correct birthdate.

I would recommend tracing siblings of the "missing" person and working down their lines to find their living relations ....this often comes up with someone who knows what happened. I have found that where people split from a spouse and have no future contact at all they usually keep in touch with someone in their own side of the family.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 08-12-12, 12:32.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I think the trees on ancestry are the best route if they are there - if not AntonyM has already said my next suggestion which is to follow the siblings and /or wider family of the 'missing' person as they might have a different version of events.
      Margaret

Comment

Looks like this is her http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/380...61647722?ssrc= and died 1975 in Grimsby
        Margaret

Comment

Not the same date of birth on that one Margaret.
          DOB supposedly 5 Jan 1900
          Elaine

Comment

This is the death associated with that tree
            Edith Eley
            Birth Date: 30 Mar 1900
            Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1975
            Age at Death: 75
            Registration district: Grimsby
            Inferred County: Humberside
            Volume: 7
            Page: 0389

The spouse is shown as private on the ancestry tree so I guess she didn't married but lived with someone.

Margaret

Comment

.. but it does look right!
              Elaine

Comment

I had someone check the Derby PRs for a baptism for Edith and it says :

Born 5 January 1900, Christened 30 January 1900.

That makes me think that the Edith Eley who died in Grimsby isn't the one I'm after.

I'm going to contact the chap in Canada with the Ancestry tree and see what he says.

STG

Comment

STG - did you notice that someone has left a comment on the Ancestry tree - not sure if it's the same person you are helping, but if not possibly worth contacting them as well.
                  Elaine

Comment

From FamilySearch
                    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Not the same date of birth on that one Margaret.
                      DOB supposedly 5 Jan 1900
                      I know but the parents look to be the same and the death record is in the married surname.
                      Margaret

Comment

This is the comment
                        edith eley
                        victoriawalker6648added this on 20 Jul 2011
                        Edith married Frank Eley they had six children they parted in the 1940s does any one know what become of Edith afterwards and any info on her death

So some one else thinks it's the same one!
                        Margaret

Comment

.. but it does look right!
                          Elaine

Comment

STG - did you notice that someone has left a comment on the Ancestry tree - not sure if it's the same person you are helping, but if not possibly worth contacting them as well.
                            Yes I saw that. The lady (daughter of Edith) said that a relative had also tried to find Edith, so I wonder if that's the Victoria who left the comment? She's not been on line for over 2 months, whereas the tree owner (in Canada) has been on line today, so he might be my best bet as a starting point.

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                              Yes I saw that. The lady (daughter of Edith) said that a relative had also tried to find Edith, so I wonder if that's the Victoria who left the comment? She's not been on line for over 2 months, whereas the tree owner (in Canada) has been on line today, so he might be my best bet as a starting point.

STG
                              Yes, certainly looks the best option at the moment.
                              Also is it worth searching for cemeteries in Grimsby where this Edith might be buried.

Margaret

Comment

cheers!
                                Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                  This is the death associated with that tree
                                  Edith Eley
                                  Birth Date: 30 Mar 1900
                                  Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1975
                                  Age at Death: 75
                                  Registration district: Grimsby
                                  Inferred County: Humberside
                                  Volume: 7
                                  Page: 0389

The spouse is shown as private on the ancestry tree so I guess she didn't married but lived with someone.

Margaret
                                  Hi
                                  I think the above lady may be Edith Cass (brides birth-date 1900) who married Charles Reginald Eley in 1928 at Cleethorpes Lincoln (Grimsby reg district).
                                  Same lady? baptised 20th April 1900 Clee Lincolnshire. Unfortunately it doesn't give her date of birth on Familysearch.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                    Hi
                                    I think the above lady may be Edith Cass (brides birth-date 1900) who married Charles Reginald Eley in 1928 at Cleethorpes Lincoln (Grimsby reg district).
                                    Same lady? baptised 20th April 1900 Clee Lincolnshire. Unfortunately it doesn't give her date of birth on Familysearch.
                                    Moggie
                                    Oh heck Moggie! trust you to sort us all out!!
                                    Margaret

Comment

Nice one Moggie! Back to the drawing board!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                        Oh heck Moggie! trust you to sort us all out!!
                                        Margaret

You beat me to it too. I'd just seen that one.

I've PM the chap in Canada.

STG

Comment

Working...
                                        X