Bridget watters/patrick quigley -ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridget watters/patrick quigley -ireland

Bridget Watters is my grandmother. She was born in Ireland about 1881 in Dundalk??. That location I'm not sure about but there was a man we used to call 'Uncle' Paddy who came to visit us a few times and always brought a real shamrock on St. Patrick's Day. He lived in Dundalk and I visited him there in 1968 for an afternoon when I was in Ireland on vacation. Unfortunately I didn't get around to asking pertinent questions at that time (more fool me!) but I feel that he was related to Bridget (my Gran) somehow. She was a servant in a household in Birkenhead when she met William Kavanagh and they married. I think her father was John Watters. I would like to find out if Dundalk is her hometown and any other information that's available. Thanks, Angela

Is Watters her married name, or her maiden name?

Hmmph. Familysearch isn't responding at the moment. Civil Reg for all BMD began in Ireland in 1864, so her birth should be registered. Have you obtained her death certificate? It should have her DOB - or at least as it was known at the time of her death . Birth certificates for any of her children should include her maiden name if you don't know it.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 07-12-12, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      Is Watters her married name, or her maiden name?

Hmmph. Familysearch isn't responding at the moment. Civil Reg for all BMD began in Ireland in 1864, so her birth should be registered. Have you obtained her death certificate? It should have her DOB - or at least as it was known at the time of her death . Birth certificates for any of her children should include her maiden name if you don't know it.
      No I don't have her birth certificate - WATTERS is her maiden name - her married name is KAVANAGH. The problem is there are quite a few Bridget Watters sometimes spelled WATERS and not knowing the exaxct location of her birth is another issue.

Comment

Angela,

do you have Bridget on the 1911 census at all? did she live at 20 Prince William St Liverpool?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Angela do you have any idea when she died? does her death certificate give any pointers?
          Julie

Comment

did she have any children? if so what were their names please.. (I don't need dates of birth, esp if they are recent, as we don't permit possible living people/names to be posted on the forum)

it might be that she followed a naming pattern so it might help.
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              Angela,

do you have Bridget on the 1911 census at all? did she live at 20 Prince William St Liverpool?
              This is not the same Bridget - there are a few of them floating around!! By 1911 she was married to William Kavanagh and they had 2 sons - then in 1913 my father was born. They lived in Birkenhead, Cheshire. She lived with us (my father, mother and sister in Birkenhead) until she died about 1949.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                did she have any children? if so what were their names please.. (I don't need dates of birth, esp if they are recent, as we don't permit possible living people/names to be posted on the forum)

it might be that she followed a naming pattern so it might help.
                Yes she had 3 children - and believe me that family followed a`naming pattern`as you said - the same 3 or 4 names for the boys and the same for the girls!! Her husband was William Kavanagh and their 3 sons were William, Thomas and John James. Their grandfather was also James ...and so it goes!!

Comment

Have you obtained her death certificate? It should have her DOB - or at least as it was known at the time of her death, Birth certificates for any of her children should include her maiden name if you don't know it.
                  It was her death certificate I wondered if you had. Children's birth certs would be useful if you didn't have her maiden name.

So, Familysearch has a few things that may be of interest:

The 2nd, 4th & 5th entry from this link:

2 & 4 are transcriptions to the civil reg index - much like freebmd.

#5 is an index of an actual civil reg record - that's why it has the exact DOB. Do you like any of them? Unfortunately, you may need to buy certs to find out more.

In my research, I've found many women's birthdates are reported later than they actually are... including my own grandmother.

and fs also has a familytree with info that looks like it might be her:
                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I don't think there's a way to contact fs tree owners.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-12-12, 00:28.

Comment

Hi Angela

I'm not sure from your posts how much information you already know and what you have access to. I think this could be Bridget's death registration entry

Bridget Kavanagh Q/E June 1949 Birkenhead Volume 10a Page 86 Age at death 70 which would mean she was born about 1879.

This could be the family on the 1911 census

Its transcribed on Ancestry as Ravanagh

William aged 32 Marine fireman mercantile steamship born Birkenhead
                    Bridget aged 33 married 7 years 2 children, resident Ireland County Louth Dundalk (this would mean she was born about 1878)
                    William 5
                    Thomas 1 both born Birkenhead
                    Address 16 Cumberland Place Birkenhead

Is this the right family?
                    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by ARickett View Post
                      She was a servant in a household in Birkenhead when she met William Kavanagh and they married. I think her father was John Watters.
                      Have you obtained the parish register entry or the marriage cert for their marriage in 1904? It would probably list her father's name (maybe that's how you know his name?)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                        Hi Angela

I'm not sure from your posts how much information you already know and what you have access to. I think this could be Bridget's death registration entry

Bridget Kavanagh Q/E June 1949 Birkenhead Volume 10a Page 86 Age at death 70 which would mean she was born about 1879.

Bridget aged 33 married 7 years 2 children, resident Ireland County Louth Dundalk (this would mean she was born about 1878)
                        William 5

I've just checked the site and YES!! that is definitely them - who would have thought of looking under 'R' instead of 'K'? I always check the 'C's but will check 'R' in future.

Comment

It was her death certificate I wondered if you had. Children's birth certs would be useful if you didn't have her maiden name.

So, Familysearch has a few things that may be of interest:

The 2nd, 4th & 5th entry from this link:

2 & 4 are transcriptions to the civil reg index - much like freebmd.

#5 is an index of an actual civil reg record - that's why it has the exact DOB. Do you like any of them? Unfortunately, you may need to buy certs to find out more.

In my research, I've found many women's birthdates are reported later than they actually are... including my own grandmother.

and fs also has a familytree with info that looks like it might be her:
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I don't think there's a way to contact fs tree owners.
                          That is MY family tree with the approx. dates in it.

Comment

Have you obtained the parish register entry or the marriage cert for their marriage in 1904? It would probably list her father's name (maybe that's how you know his name?)
                            Yes, that's where I got his name from.

Comment

Just to let you know

1904 KAVANAGH William to WALTERS Bridget .......... Birkenhead Civil Marriage Wirral BW/62/126

So - down as Walters on marriage cert
                              allan
                              Last edited by garstonite; 10-12-12, 09:09.
                              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Dear Jackie - very belatedly replying to your message. Yes this is my grandmother - obviously the strange spelling of Kavanagh is why I wasn't able to find it. My father was born 2 years after the 1911 census. I have Bridget as a 'servant' in a household in Birkenhead in the 1901 census. She married in 1904. Thanks, Angela

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                Hi Angela

William 5

Comment

Working...
                                X