James kavanagh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James kavanagh

This is my great-grandfather and he was born in Ireland - don't know where - in 1848. I believe his father might have been PATRICK. James emigrated to Birkenhead, Cheshire, England I don't know when. He married ELIZABETH SMITH (also born in Ireland - Kings. Co. - now Offaly) in 1847 but they were married in Birkenhead, St. Laurence's Church so I assumed they met in Birkenhead. The area they lived in was like a little Ireland!! I know their history up until the 1891 census when it shows ELIZABETH as the Head of the house and all the 7 children there. So I cannot find a death record or anything else for James. I did hear a comment that he and his brother (don't know anything about him at all) sailed for the U.S. and that he died at sea? Don't know if the brother made it to the U.S. or not - Elizabeth died in 1900.

Their son William is my grandfather and his son John James is my father. Unfortunately this is a family that uses the same names over many generations which makes it a little tricky. Any help would be much appreciated.

James was born in Ireland 1848, but married in Birkenhead in 1847 ?

Can you clarify the exact dates you have and perhaps a link to one of the census entries on Ancestry - that would help us to help you.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
      James was born in Ireland 1848, but married in Birkenhead in 1847 ?

Can you clarify the exact dates you have and perhaps a link to one of the census entries on Ancestry - that would help us to help you.
      My apologies - been looking at too many dates the last few hours - they married in 1872.

Not sure if that's the correct way of attaching the link? Let me know if it doesn't work. Thanks, Angela

Comment

You said in your first post that you could not find a death registration for James - yet the tree you have given a link to shows a death registration of 1890 2nd qtr. Birkenhead.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          You said in your first post that you could not find a death registration for James - yet the tree you have given a link to shows a death registration of 1890 2nd qtr. Birkenhead.
          I'm not 100% sure it is MY James Kavanagh but the timing was right so perhaps I should just put that notice with an 'unsure' comment. I'm not very expert with this so may have made an error in putting it there. Will check the tree again. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ARickett View Post
            I'm not 100% sure it is MY James Kavanagh but the timing was right so perhaps I should just put that notice with an 'unsure' comment. I'm not very expert with this so may have made an error in putting it there. Will check the tree again. Thanks
            How to I check on this site where my Family Tree is??

Comment

Originally posted by ARickett View Post
              How to I check on this site where my Family Tree is??
              Do you mean on Ancestry.
              You gave us a link earlier which was -

There is a tab just under the Ancestry navigation bar which says "Return to James Kavanagh" - click on that and it takes you back to the tree.
              Elaine

Comment

I need some help regarding tracing my great-grandfathers supposed 'drowned at sea' This would have been the Atlantic Ocean as he and his brother (name unknown) were emigrating from Liverpool to the U.S. It would have been between 1885 and 1891 as his 7th child was born in 1885 and his wife is listed as a widow in the 1891 census. A distant relation in the family gave me some info. re this a few years ago and she also stated that 2 descendants of the brother - who made it to California - came to visit our hometown. I have emailed her for more information but not sure how much more she has. I will be visiting my hometown in March and wondered if anyone has any suggestion as to where I might look or contact now before arriving?

Comment

you could wait for names of the descendants of the brother, then trace them back till you find your uncles name. or you could order that death in 1890 birkenhead you thought of before to see if it is related. some myths are 100% wrong. maybe someone couldn't remember if it was james or his brother that died en route to america, then when that was handed down, it became james and his brother on board that ship.

Comment

www.cheshirebmd.org.uk 1871 - 1875
                    James CAVANAGH to Elizabeth Smith ...Birkenhead ...Civil Marriage ....Wirral ....BW/16/28
                    So Cavanagh could be the name under deceased - and not Kavanagh ...
                    allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

there is this:

Name: James Kavanagh
                      Birth Year: abt 1848
                      Death Year: abt 1890
                      Burial Date: 12 Jun 1890
                      Parish: Ford Cemetery

the entry gives his address as 122 Still Street, though by checking the 1891 census Elizabeth is living at 2, Hope street, so this might not be the one you are after, not unless you have an address from one of the childrens birth certs to work from. [that match that in the burial register] --though thinking about it, he may have died in a hospital, but I would think that it would say so.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        there is this:

Name: James Kavanagh
                        Birth Year: abt 1848
                        Death Year: abt 1890
                        Burial Date: 12 Jun 1890
                        Parish: Ford Cemetery

the entry gives his address as 122 Still Street, though by checking the 1891 census Elizabeth is living at 2, Hope street, so this might not be the one you are after, not unless you have an address from one of the childrens birth certs to work from. [that match that in the burial register] --though thinking about it, he may have died in a hospital, but I would think that it would say so.
                        I saw that record as well - but definitely not him - Ford Cemetery is in Liverpool and all the family lived in Birkenhead - right up to the present day (except for me who lives in Canada)!.

Comment

I have recently been informed by a genealogist that James Kavanagh was born in 1848 in Coolaleen, Co. Kilkenny. His father's name was Patrick Kavanagh and his mother was Judith Walsh(e). He had 7 brothers and sisters Margaret(1842),William(1844),Mary(184),John(1850), Anne(1853),Bridget(1855). John, William, Mary and Anne showed Cavanagh in the parish records. Unfortunately have not been able to track down anymore info. I would especially like to find which of the 2 brothers sailed with James to the U.S. and where he ended up - as in which State.

Comment

Please ignore last post - I have been informed since then that this was incorrect information re MY James Kavanagh. I am still attempting to find where he was born.

Comment

Working...
                            X