Isles of Scilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isles of Scilly

Are BMD and census records for Scilly in the usual place - presumably the county is Cornwall?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

For a question like that, I usually use Google to get at the online genalogy "bible": http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cor...IslesofScilly/

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      For a question like that, I usually use Google to get at the online genalogy "bible": http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cor...IslesofScilly/

Christine
      That's an interesting link and if you click through on the genealogy you get a site dedicated to the Isles and there are some family trees listed with contact details.

Margaret

Comment

In our Reference Library we have a page for the Scillys

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          In our Reference Library we have a page for the Scillys

http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/298
          Sorry - meant to mention that!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            Sorry - meant to mention that!

Christine
            :smilee:
            Julie

Comment

Thanks all of you. I have found a treasure trove of data.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                Thanks all of you. I have found a treasure trove of data.
                ooh is it something that we could add to our Scilly Isles page webwiz? [or is it something that's already there?]
                Julie

Comment

Your page led me to various sites where I quickly found 4 more generations of my only Scillonian - not much interest to anybody else though. It seems that there was not much immigration/emigration in the 18th & 19th centuries, and the population was small so anyone lucky enough to be researching a family there should find lots of relations.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                    Your page led me to various sites where I quickly found 4 more generations of my only Scillonian - not much interest to anybody else though. It seems that there was not much immigration/emigration in the 18th & 19th centuries, and the population was small so anyone lucky enough to be researching a family there should find lots of relations.
                    oh I am pleased that you have had some success, I don't know if you have ever been over to the Islands, but they are beautiful, I have been over several times and even been over to Tresco where the Abbey Gardens are, its beautiful. St Marys is very nice and lovely just to stroll around, If I remember rightly there is a place there called 'Nowhere'.. so I have actually been to 'Nowhere'...lol.
                    Julie

Comment

I have had two holidays there, one on St.Mary in 1966 (ouch!) and one on Tresco a few years ago. I am still growing Alstroemerias we brought back. Unfortunately it was only recently that I found I had a Scillonoian in my tree or I would certainly have tried some FH research while I was there.

Comment

Working...
                      X