Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial records

Hi all

Can anyone tell me where i can start ???

I want to find records from 1967, in which a man was charged with murder but released during the trial because the coroners belief and autopsy results were inconclusive and insufficient to continue.

I have seached the local newpapers for that time, but nothing found.

the court said the case is historical and i should search other means (not helpful people at all)

Any ideas please.
    Lorraine

The police force which investigated the case should have a file on it. After this period of time it may have been sent to the National Archives. I would write to them and try a search on TNA (where it maybe subject to closure rules).

If you get the run-around you could then try a Freedom of Information Application.
    Last edited by keldon; 05-12-12, 21:23.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Do you know which Court?
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
        The police force which investigated the case should have a file on it. After this period of time it may have been sent to the National Archives. I would write to them and try a search on TNA (where it maybe subject to closure rules).

If you get the run-around you could then try a Freedom of Information Application.
        Thanks keldon, i did try this route but they say because the man in question is still alive he can apply himself, and we are afraid this may open a can of worms .......

I will try the TNA and hope they wont require the same.
        Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
          Do you know which Court?
          Yes we know the court and dates of events, we just cant get the "details of the trial"

without revealing to much info, it is the daughter of the man who was charged with the murder of her mother when she was 6 weeks old, that wants to find out.

The court as i said was very unhelpful, almost to the point of ignorance.
          Lorraine

Comment

I would have thought the daughter might be considered a victim of the possible crime and therefore entitled to information.

Anne

Comment

Coroners records (of inquests) are generally closed for 75 years, and few exceptions are made, and the police papers are probably too recent to be close to being sent to TNA (if they ever are). I think the only chance would be through an FOI request, but even that may prove very difficult.

I am surprised that such a case isn't in the newspapers somewhere - they are usually the best source for crime information , particularly coroners reports.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

That was my first thought Anthony, but all the usual newspaper channels have shown nothing, not even the locals that stopped publication in the 70's were listed but again nothing.

we have the odd parts of documents that were attached to the death cert, and some papers from the social services of the time, they relate to the case but give no information that sheds any light, the reports that were held by the SS only state info about the care and well being of "the child".
                Lorraine

Comment

If the case was closed due to insufficient evidence I am not sure that records would have been kept as it is unlikely to be reopened.

It is not an unsolved crime and the matter appears to have been fully dealt with at the time - the murder charge was dropped and the coroner returned whatever verdict and cause of death he gave to be shown on the death certificate and associated papers.

Margaret

Comment

Just checked with TNA. I was wrong, police investigation files do not end up there as they are not public records. Sorry about that. Still worth inquiring of the force concerned.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk
                    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                      Just checked with TNA. I was wrong, police investigation files do not end up there as they are not public records. Sorry about that. Still worth inquiring of the force concerned.
                      I honestly don't think the police would reveal any file they might still hold - they are not public records - the matter has been dealt with as far as the public are concerned by the coroner. All evidence is considered by the court and is then public but if there was in the end no trial as such then I can't see you would be able to find out more than has already been published.

The only record you might be able to see is the coroners report which is made public and any files, as I understand it, are not kept after a certain period has elapsed. Even if they were kept I don't think they would be made available to a member of the public whatever their connection - the person concerned may be able to access the file but no one else.

The coroners verdict is what the public can have along with any report that was issued at the time.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

The death cert says "indeterminate suffocation" - i understand this as by unknown cause.

I shall tell her that perhaps the coroners report would be the only option to try and that being the deceased daughter she may get somewhere.

Thanks again
                        Lorraine

Comment

I suppose if she suffocated then there must be a question as to whether someone forced that as it is hard to imagine anyone suffocating by accident. The only scenario I can think of is by inhalation of vomit or other object which would have been found. Wikipedia has an explanation of suffocation here which may or may not help.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X