Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please

Can anyone help please. My 3x great grandfather was a Benjamin Park born in Uley, Gloucestershire about 1776. Is there anyway of finding out who his parents were? I have him marrying a Mary Tilly in 1779. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Also any information on Mary Tilly who was born about 1774.

Thanks

Baptisms for Uley are on freeREG http://www.freereg.org.uk/ but there are no Parks there. Benjamin's marriage on freeREG includes a note "groom may be non-conformist" - I don't know what gave rise to this note, but if Benjamin was indeeed non-conformist it would account for the lack of a baptism at Uley parish church. A similar note appears on a couple of other Park marriages at Uley, so I certainly think you need to investigate non-conformist records.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thank you for the information. What does non conformist mean? Also where can I search these non conformist records?

Comment

Did Benjamin and Mary marry in 1799 - you have put 1779 - they would have been 3 and 5 respectively! If they did marry in 1779 can you confirm the dates of birth.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact definition, but I would see non-conformist as a Christian denomination such as Baptist, Methodist, Unitarian, Quaker, etc. I've not had the need to use their records, but I believe they are less likely to be online than the Church of England records, Also, they do not all have infant baptism.

If no-one comes along with a better idea you could try contacting Gloucestershire FHS http://gfhs.org.uk/ They have transcribed a number of non-conformist records, but as far as I can see their baptism records for Uley start in 1793. If you email they should be able to tell you whether they have access to records for earlier than this.

ozgirl, the marriage was 1799 according to freeREG

scuda
          Last edited by scuda; 02-12-12, 18:05.
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Did Benjamin and Mary marry in 1799 - you have put 1779 - they would have been 3 and 5 respectively! If they did marry in 1779 can you confirm the dates of birth.
            Sorry it was 1799 - my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by JULES65 View Post
              Thank you for the information. What does non conformist mean? Also where can I search these non conformist records?
              Have a look here for non-conformists records http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/
              Margaret

Comment

I think the idea was that people who "conformed" were Church of England... or at least "conformed" to the Catholic creeds and orders of worship. (You don't generally hear of Roman Catholics being described as "non-conformist".) If you didn't "conform", therefore, you must be a "non-conformist".

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X