John William Lane 1850-1904

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John William Lane 1850-1904

John Lane was born in Stroud, Glos, in May 1850. Using FMP, I have successfully found him in all the following censuses except 1871. This is a gap I am most anxious to fill. Following the death of his first wife, Kate, in 1890 he married Alice Maria [?] Hill, but, again using FMP, I have been unable to trace any record. Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you just give a bit more info.
    In 1851 is he the John W Lane with parents William and Martha - HO107; Piece: 1965; Folio: 229; Page: 2

If so can you give the 1861 reference please.
    Elaine

Comment

Just found that one in 1871 so presumably not the right one!
      - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...576736&recoff=
      RG10; Piece: 2628; Folio: 104; Page: 20
      Elaine

Comment

- now found the 1861 census for that family

RG 9; Piece: 1775; Folio: 38; Page: 2;
        Elaine

Comment

Yes, his parents were William and Mary. Had trouble finding John W in 1861 on FMP as his first name had been transcribed as Ino!

Comment

Cannot see a marriage to Alice. Were they both still alive in 1911?
            Elaine

Comment

No, John died in 1904. Alice appears in the 1901 census but didn't go to his funeral while his father in law, John Hill, did. I have been unable to trace her death.

Comment

How do you know Alice's maiden name?
                Elaine

Comment

The Alice comes from the 1901 census while the Hill comes from the press report of John's funeral that includes "The chief mourners were Messrs F Lane, Lawrence Lane, Lancelot Lane (sons), Walter Lane, Selsley, Arthur Lane, Wimbledon, Edward Lane, Stroud (brothers), and John Hill (father in law)."

Comment

Have you seen the Probate Calendar entry on Ancestry - names Alice Lane as widow, but I suppose that's no real indication that they were married!
                    Elaine

Comment

In the 1891 census, when John was living at Cainscross House, Alice Hill is listed as a visitor aged 23 and born 1868 in Birmingham Aston. BMD comes up with two Alice Maria Hills in Aston, Warks, one in Q3 1868 and the other in Q1 1871. In 1891, when John and co are at The Lawns, Cainscross, Alice's age is given as 30 making her birth year 1871.

Comment

Have now located John in the 1871 census. When I tried previously FMP must have been having an off day. His marriage to Alice is still a mystery.

Comment

This is a complete long shot given the locations but several other things fit

Q/E June 1895 Hendon marriage. Also on Ancestry Holy Trinity Kilburn 2?th April 1895 Herbert Edward Wright 40 pawnbroker bachelor married Alice Maria Hill spinster aged 24, father John Hill Agent. Witnesses John Hill and Nellie Lillian Hill. The age is right but I don't know if the rest fits

Probate entry for Herbert Edward Wright died 8th March 1896 to Alicia Maria Wright, widow

Q/E March 1897 Brentford marriage John William Lane and Alice Maria Wright

I think this might be the 1881 for Alice M Hill with a father John and sister Nellie L. Alice is 10 and born Aston

RG11 Piece 3043, Folio 30, Page,9

Jackie

Comment

It looks as though Nellie Lilian Hill married Lawrence John Lane (her sister's stepson?) in 1903 Meriden
                            Jackie

Comment

Looks interesting Jackie.
                              Elaine

Comment

Many, many thanks for all your help. The end result does indeed tick all the boxes and is probably correct although one can never be sure. It does, however, produce the result that when Nellie married Lawrence her sister, Alice, also became her mother-in-law!

Comment

Working...
                                X