X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNA prepares for the introduction of 20-year rule

From the WDYTYA Magazine site:

The National Archives prepares for the introduction of 20-year rule

The organisation has outlined how it will store data in preparation for the ‘20-year rule’, which will come into effect from next year

The National Archives (TNA) has published its new records collection policy, outlining changes to the ways in which it will collect and store the data given to them by public records bodies.

In addition to stating the types of information the repository does and does not collect, the report also contains important updates on the 20-year rule that was first announced by the Government in 2010.
    Whereas TNA has previously had to wait 30 years between receiving records and releasing them to the public, this waiting period will be reduced to 20 years from the start of 2013.

This means that two years' worth of data instead of the normal one years' worth will be released each year until 2023 in order to close the gap. As a result, an extra 45,000 records will be transferred and be made available for researchers annually.

By 2016 all records from the 1980s will have been revealed, potentially including papers relating to the 1985 discovery of the Titanic, and the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.

Based in Kew, TNA holds a wealth of materials spanning over a thousand years of British history.
    A wide variety of documents are now also available via the organisation's Discovery service, making it a valuable web-based tool for family historians. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a...-catalogue.htm

Learn more about the new records collection policy (PDF) http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Can anyone help me understand this please?

How would this affect me in terms of my Granddad's war records? As far as I know I'll be able to access them in 2021, exactly 100 years after his birth. Does the above mean that there's a change and that I won't to access the data in 2021. I'm so confused here.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I think personal records will still be under the 70 or 100 year rule as it is now, this means that Government records that are usually available after 30 years will now be available after 20 years, like things the government got up to in cabinet, or general things of the day like strikes and disasters all those records will be released instead of waiting 30 years to read the facts.

Edna

Comment

You can access his War records now, assuming that he has died and you can be classed as next of kin, although you have to pay £30 to get copies!
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ann I think its the NoK problem that prevents her getting the record.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna. I didn't realise that.

It's still possible, though to get basic details, without permission of next of kin as follows, although this might not be enough!

Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the Next of Kin, MOD will disclose only: surname; forename; rank; service number; regiment/corps; place of birth; age; date of birth; date of death where this occurred in service; the date an individual joined the service; the date of leaving; good conduct medals (i.e. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.

After this period, and if it is held, in addition MOD will disclose without the requirement for Next of Kin consent: the units in which he/she served; the dates of this service and the locations of those units; the ranks in which the service was carried out and details of WWII
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I'm 21 and yes I do have my own money but I'd rather not go behind my Mum's back by ordering the death certificate just for records that might not have 1 sentence within them.

Comment

Your choice, of course, and I quite understand. You sound offended - not sure why.

Comment

your grandfather's death should say pensioner if he was in the army at some point, and possibly the regiment. you really should get the cert anyway, regardless of what you think you know of him. i understand your mother doesn't want you to see it, but that would make me personally more determined to get a copy.

as for ordeing your grandfather's records, have you asked your mother or one of her siblings about getting them? or they afraid of something in those as well?

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                    Your choice, of course, and I quite understand. You sound offended - not sure why.
                    Sorry Annswabey I'm honestly not offended I just had some very annoying family members here at the time of writing. Would you accept a hug in response?

Comment

Hug accepted - no problem!

Comment

Working...
                      X