1911 Census The Cat is listed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census The Cat is listed

This is in this weeks FTM the family have listed the Cat as Tom Cat aged 8 married,16 children none died , Mouse Catcher Soloist and Thief.

and read what is written underneath

Last edited by Guest; 30-11-12, 15:09.

Brilliant - thankyou for that Val.
    (It's brought a lot of mirth into an otherwise rather joyless day. )

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thought it might tickle some , see the women were Suffragettes???

Comment

Oh I love it - I wish they were my ancestors.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Classic!
          For those of you without Ancestry, Further down the form it says "All the above mentioned have Breakfast, Dinner, Tea and Supper. Eat Standard bread Drink sterilized milk. Sleep with the windows open. Wash our street once a week etc God Save the King RSVP
          Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-11-12, 19:00.

Comment

thanks for doing that Jill, I should have ? I forget not everybody has Ancestry.

Comment

Love it! At least the family appreciated their feline family member.

Comment

has been pointed out to me it says wash our feet once a week, not street

Comment

To match that, here's a dog on the 1911 census in Dublin. "Tatters Cullen" aged 3. If you click on the household return (form A) box, you'll see he was born in Co. Longford and couldn’t read. Nice detail.

Last edited by Elwyn; 02-12-12, 21:08.
                  Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thats really funny Elwyn maybe I'll put my Dog on the next one ??

Comment

The 1911 census with my Dad age 6, the last entry was Pussy Russell age 2 married. Occupation Catch mice.

It had been crossed through and the total number of people was reduced from 7 to 6.

It was in different handwriting so I expect one of the boys got a thick ear for that.

It gave me an insight into their family life. They had a cat and plenty of humour.

June

Comment

Thank you for this one. I collect examples of refusal or awkwardness regarding the census for an article on the website.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thats really funny June, must have a look at that on your website Phil ??

Comment

How wonderful, didnt imagine they were such free spirits then I know my nan doesnt appear on the 1911 because she was a suffragette and many of them refused to complete the census when they didnt have the vote - but to actually make these jokey entries, seems so unlike the period doesnt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              ... must have a look at that on your website Phil ??
                              Val, I tread a thin line on postings just for self-promotion, trying not to upset anyone, but since you asked.
                              Census Objectors
                              Phil
                              historyhouse.co.uk
                              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks very much Phil love the one about the twins I was surprised my nan was listed in 1911 Heather as she thought they were all nosey parkers.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-12-12, 15:20.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Val, I am however disapointed, my first husband & I thought we were being so different when in the 1971 census we listed Bunty the cat, Snubby the Guinea Pig & Buddy the rabbit. :D
                                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

did you Viv were you ticked off ?

Comment

As much as I consider my furbabies part of the family ... you guys are going to drive genealogists nuts in a couple of hundred years!

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
                                        As much as I consider my furbabies part of the family ... you guys are going to drive genealogists nuts in a couple of hundred years!

why should they have it easy we dont ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X