Asgill-Tucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asgill-Tucker

Hi, a couple of years back I sought advice on finding my grandfather, Ernest McQuillan Hargraves (see Advice-for-an-Aussie-searching-in-England-please) who was reputedly born in the UK. It seems that was false information given by him - either a false name or false birth information - and I am now off on another track.

Ernest's first marriage was to my grandmother, and I am now trying to trace his descendent(s) from his second marriage. He had one daughter from that marriage, C.S. Hargraves, b1927. She travelled to UK from Australia in 1949, married H. Asgill-Tucker in 1953, and the two of them travelled to South Africa in 1956. Their intended place of residence was shown as 'SR', which I'm guessing was Southern Rhodesia. Henry's father was also Henry Asgill-Tucker, and he had died by the time they were married.

I have two questions please:

1. I can find no further information on the Asgill-Tucker family in the UK using Ancestry.com. I'm guessing that either (i) Henry came from Rhodesia and his family was still there, or (ii) his ancestors were Asgills and Tuckers who only combined their names in the generation before him. Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

2. I would like to see if I can find H & C in Rhodesia, and also check if his parents lived there. Ancestry.com doesn't seem to have any records from there. Does anyone have advice on the best way to search there please?

Thank you
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-06-14, 09:29.

Have a look at the Reference pages on this website as there are a list of places you can find information.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, but I couldn't find anything on Family History search in Zimbabwe in the Reference Pages - perhaps I didn't look in the right place? And I was hoping someone here may have had some information on the name Asgill-Tucker or hyphenated names generally.

Comment

Hello Eric

I think that Margaret meant our Reference Library.. we have a page with links for South African research. [click on the link below]

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          Hello Eric

I think that Margaret meant our Reference Library.. we have a page with links for South African research. [click on the link below]

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...1-South-Africa
          Aha! Thanks. I just needed that extra help.

Comment

you are very welcome Eric, :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hey just saw this online, thought i'd let you know that C.S. Asgill-Tucker (what her name is now) is my grandmother on my dads side. She still lives in Rhodesia (or what is now Zimbabwe), I used to live there with my Mum and Dad but moved to Perth, Australia in 2003.

The hyphonated surname Asgill-Tucker has been a mystery to our family for many years, and we are interested to find out how it came about yourselves.
              Regards

Name of living person removed
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-06-14, 09:27.

Comment

Hi Dylan and welcome to FTF
                Eric hasn't been on site for a while, so the best way to contact him would be by sending him a Private Message. If you click on his name at the side of his post you will see Private Message come up. As long as he hasn't changed his e-mail address and has his settings to receive them he should get an e-mail to tell him that you have contacted him.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  Hi Dylan and welcome to FTF
                  Eric hasn't been on site for a while, so the best way to contact him would be by sending him a Private Message.
                  Hi Chrissie, it's true I haven't been here for a while, but I get email notifications of new posts on this thread, so it's all good. Thanks for taking an interest.

Hey just saw this online, thought i'd let you know that C.S. Asgill-Tucker (what her name is now) is my grandmother on my dads side. She still lives in Rhodesia (or what is now Zimbabwe), I used to live there with my Mum and Dad but moved to Perth, Australia in 2003.
                  Hi Dylan, it's great to hear from you. As Chrissie suggested, I'll contact you by personal message on this forum, and give you my email address. If you want, we can correspond that way. Hope to hear from you soon.
                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-06-14, 09:28.

Comment

Sorry Eric and Dylan but I have had to edit the names, now that we know that the lady is still alive. Probably better to communicate by PM now that you have found each other.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X