Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP Historical Newspapers

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is on the correct board but does anyone know how to change the PDF of the newspaper page into a format that I can cut and paste the paragraph I want.

I have been very lucky and found a letter my great grandad sent from the Boer War in 1900. I have saved it to the computer but would really like to print out the part I want to put in his file.

At the moment all I can print out is the whole page of a very large newspaper page and a microscope would be required to read it it if was printed out!

Please bear in mind that I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers so simple advice would be great.

Many thanks.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

There is no way you can change the PDF format as that is part of the copyright of the newspaper but you can highlight the article from the newspaper that you are interested in, copy and paste into a word document, then highlight the name and date of paper and copy and paste to the the top of the article, so you have in effect your own copy of the part you are wanting to keep, but unable to alter the words. You should be able to alter the font size once you have it in a word document. I have done this to several newspaper articles though I usually alter the font size to suit me first before I cut and paste. You can do that from the PDF file by clicking on the + sign at the top left. The - sign will make it smaller.

Does that answer your query?

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 27-11-12, 14:20.

Comment

Thank you Janet - I will go over what you have just said and see if I can make it happen.

Fingers crossed!
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Now I feel completely stupid:o - how simple was that and how many thousands of times have I done it before!

I was trying to crop the image which wasn't working and I couldn't get it to open on a programme that allowed editing.
        Thanks so much - you're a star.
        Last edited by herky; 27-11-12, 14:22.
        herky

Comment

You are welcome Herky. Haven't we all pondered over things only for someone to say well if you do this it will work!! I have been down that road many many times. Glad it worked for you.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 27-11-12, 14:31.

Comment

you could do a screen shot and open it into an image editing programme. last week i couldn't done it, but my brother showed me, and it's so easy.

Comment

I use the snipping tool its briliant and so easy to use , just magnify the area you want then snip it

Comment

Thanks Kylejustin and Val - I will look into both options.
                I have done a screen shot before but not the "snipping tool" - off to see what that is - learning something new every day!
                herky

Comment

I couldn't live without the snipping tool!!!

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Is the snipping tool a Windows 7 thing? I don't seem to have it on XP :(

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Is the snipping tool a Windows 7 thing? I don't seem to have it on XP :(

Anne
                      I was also going to ask where this snipping tool is - I have Windows 7.
                      Thanks
                      herky

Comment

Go to start, all programs, accessories and its there, terrific little app use it a lot.
                        Sorry cant remember if its on XP or not, but if is will be in similar place would think

Comment

I think the snipping tool was introduced with Vista.
                          Another similar useful tool is Awesome Screenshot - sits as an icon on your tool bar so is readily available when you want to do a screenshot, either part or whole page. Also works with XP
                          Awesome Screenshot is the highest-rated screen capture & screen recorder tool with over 2 million users! Screen sharing, fast and easy! Share screen with video and screenshot.
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the info about the snipping tool - had a go and it worked well and I can also highlight the name on the letter etc.
                            I learn something new every day.
                            herky

Comment

It looks as though I also need to look at the snipping tool as i have never heard of that one! Only just gone on to Windows 7 from XP as I missed Vista.

Janet

Comment

One other method you could use if you have something like photoshop elements. Load the pdf page into the program (photoshop will open pdf files). You may have to flatten the image to see it properly with a white background. You will then have an image of the page. Then select the part you want and crop down to that. Now you can save it as an image and print it out as you would any image

Linda

I have done this with pages from the london gazette
                                Last edited by Lindag; 30-11-12, 20:48.
                                LindaG

Comment

Thanks Lindag - I have photoshop but have never been able to sus it out and do anything with it - I will have to take lessons, I think!
                                  herky

Comment

Working...
                                  X