WARNING! British newspaper archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING! British newspaper archive

If you subscribe to this site, keep an eye out re renewal dates. I've just received a mail from them informing me that my sub runs out next month & will be renewed automatically.

I took out a 12 month sub on 7th June this year, expiry date 7th June 2013.

NOT my favourite company at the moment, anyway, as they have recently thrown in FREE access to the newspaper site as part of the FMP package, to which I also subscribe.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I hope you have given them a good talking to Janet:(
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Well, they've confirmed 1) payment ISN'T due; 2) they can't take any money because my immediate response had been to turn off automatic renewal. PHEW

Bit worrying though. If they were going to take payment for 7 December that's less than a fortnight away and I could have been away for 2/3 weeks and come back to find the money had already been taken. According to their t&c, you're only entitled to reimbursement within 7 days.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Only recently I had occasion to use the Newspaper archive but took out a two day sub for 6.95 (I think without going back to check). Could be the way to go if you only want to

look up things on a casual basis. Must admit the site worked perfectly for me and never had a problem.

David
        Last edited by grumpy; 26-11-12, 21:20.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Well, they've confirmed 1) payment ISN'T due; 2) they can't take any money because my immediate response had been to turn off automatic renewal. PHEW

Bit worrying though. If they were going to take payment for 7 December that's less than a fortnight away and I could have been away for 2/3 weeks and come back to find the money had already been taken. According to their t&c, you're only entitled to reimbursement within 7 days.

Jay
          I think they'd have trouble justifying holding onto your money in the circumstances you describe: they can say that reimbursement has to be claimed within 7 days, but if they've taken the money wrongly, it would be hard to distinguish from theft! Perhaps more of us should remark to these sites that we share our experiences - good and bad - about them with others who are interested in genealogy (and are, therefore, potential subscribers)!

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-11-12, 21:36.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            I think they'd have trouble justifying holding onto your money in the circumstances you describe: they can say that reimbursement has to be claimed within 7 days, but if they've taken the money wrongly, it would be hard to distinguish from theft! Perhaps more of us should remark to these sites that we share our experiences - good and bad - about them with others who are interested in genealogy (and are, therefore, potential subscribers)!

Christine
            That's a good point Christine ref sharing experiences - one would hope they have some regard to their reputation if they know we are comparing notes.
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              That's a good point Christine ref sharing experiences - one would hope they have some regard to their reputation if they know we are comparing notes.
              Margaret
              We'd all have to be very careful to be factual and not libellous, though!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
              X