Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost RICHARDS children

Hi All

My g grandfather Daniel Joseph RICHARDS commited suicide 19th August 1902 under the Great Eastern Railway Bridge over River Lea, Hackney, London. His wife Ann had died some 3 months earlier, and he was lost without her. However, his death left a family of children as orphans. I know from my Uncle that the family were put into homes, but I am unable to find them in 1911 other than my grandfather William RICHARDS who was in the RN as a boy recruit amd his brother Robert who also joined the RN.

The ones I can't find are as follows

Emma born 1891 in St Lukes, London - found her marriage later to a William PAYNE in 1921
    Ann born 1893 in St Lukes, London
    Ada Elizabeth born 1898 in St Lukes, London
    Lily born 1899 in St Lukes, London
    Jane Martha born 1900 in St Lukes

I can't find obvious deaths for them between 1901 & 1911, so am at a loss to where they could be.

If anybody can help, I would be really thankful.
    Pauline
    xx
    OPC Lanlivery, Lanivet & Newquay
    www.mumsiep.tribalpages.com

By "homes" do you mean children's homes or domestic homes? I assume you mean the former.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Children's homes Elizabeth - possibly Barnardo's but I can't be sure on that.
      Pauline
      xx

Comment

Do you know if they remained in the UK or is there any chance they may have been sent abroad?
        Elaine

Comment

I've been looking but nothing so far.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I don't think they would have been sent abroad. There are no connections abroad that they might have been sent to. It's hard to know how 5 girls can just disappear:(

I asked my uncle some time ago if he knew anything of the extended family, and he said that the only one his father kept in touch with (William Richards) was his brother Bob. He knew nothing of any sisters.
            Pauline
            xx

Comment

If they were in a home, Barnardoes or otherwise, there's a strong possibility they were sent abroad as part of the British Home Children plan, which was to poulate the colonies with young healthy adults who were a financial drain on the rates in this country.

OC

Comment

I've been trying to search for them without their surname, in case they were adopted and used a different name. No luck so far, I'm afraid.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I looked on the British Home Children website but cannot see them listed ... although that doesn't mean to say they didn't get sent overseas. Trying to search the passenger lists but Ancestry is playing up for me at the moment.
                  Elaine

Comment

Is there any link to the Jury family?

1911 Census
                    RICHARDS, Lily
                    HONITON, Devonshire
                    Reference RG14PN12568 RG78PN721 RD269 SD2 ED17 SN152

There is a Lily Richards in Sidmouth in 1911, born in Middlesex. At Lloyds Bank! Ah, takes me back to my youth.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Looked at the Jury family and traced back a couple of generations but no link to the Richards clan that I can see. She could be a possible though.
                      Thanks to you and Elaine for trying to help :-)
                      Pauline
                      xx

Comment

Working...
                      X