I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up!

In my Lennon search I've come across the names Bernard & Sarah Unknown as the parents of John, James and Patrick in 11 different Mundia/Ancestry trees, there's no sources to back this up. I cannot find any parents for Patrick at all. I have his wife and family down to myself.

I've had help on a forum thats specified for the Lanarkshire area of Scotland and we've come to the conclusion that the death they have for him is completely wrong and that his wife re-married but it's soo difficult trying to find parents for him. They also have James down as his twin but I'm not so sure it's correct. Then again they all change the information every day.

Is there anything I can do? I can't buy a certificate for his birth as I'd need a lot more information to go on.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

What year are you looking at for his birth? it may be that if it was before civil reg began then all you would have is a baptism record which may not be conclusive or give you any more information to prove one way or the other.

Margaret

Comment

Uh, Sarah - how about a few more details about Bernard & Sarah and JJ&P? Bernard's birth cert? One of JJorP's

Comment

oops sorry guys.

Bernard & Sarah- Armagh, Ireland., 1790

James, John- Armagh, Ireland.
        1813 1818

Patrick- 1817/1862- Armagh, Ireland/ Stevenston, Ayreshire, Scotland.
        Married Mary Larkin- born 1818 Dublin, Ireland.
        6 children

Mary re-married in 1869 to Luke Farrell. The marraige was registered twice under Lennon and Larkin.

Note- the name changed from Lennan to Lennon over the years.

Comment

If the information in your post #4 is correct (cf. what others have in their trees) do you have the death record for Patrick in 1862? Where known, Scottish death records list both parents' names so this seems a useful record to get hold of.

Also: where and when did Patrick and Mary marry? I note that they had a daughter Elizabeth born 1855 - do you have this record as that will state marriage details.
          Last edited by Bertie; 23-11-12, 16:30.

Comment

The only information that I was given was his name, the year and Stevenston.

Comment

I take it then that you do NOT have the death record - I suggest (if you believe it to be him) that you do get it (very cheap from SP) as it should state he is married to Mary and will also hopefully state his parents.

Comment

Based on 1861 Census, it certainly looks as though Stevenston is the right location. They are living in (per transcription at least!) Boglemart Street and the family is:

Patrick 48 born Ireland Coal Work Labourer
                Mary 41 born Ireland
                Edward 19 born Ireland Collier
                Maryann 17 born Ireland Muslin Sewer
                Patrick 10 born Stevenston
                Elizabeth 5 born ditto
                John 2 born ditto

Presume marriage was before 1842 Ireland - as I said above if you get the 1855 birth record that should give marriage details
                Last edited by Bertie; 23-11-12, 17:14.

Comment

The family had arrived in Scotland in time for the 1851 census - also in Boglemart St. Bailey's Land, Stevenston:

Mary LENNAN 30 born Ireland Cotton Sewer
                  Edward 9 born Ireland
                  Maryann 7 born Ireland
                  Patrick 3 months born Stevenston

Seems highly likely that the 1862 death you state in Stevenston is him. Once you have downloaded it do let us know what it says
                  Last edited by Bertie; 23-11-12, 17:28.

Comment

Why did I never think to use Scotlands People in the first place?
                    His Father is called Mathew. There's a mention of Soldier in the Royal Artillery.
                    His Mother is called Mary. Bother are Deceased.

Hopefully some of you may be able to help transcribe some of it.
                    Patrick's at the bottom.

Rather than take up all the space I'm making the link open into a new page.

Comment

Excellent! Do get the 1855 birth record too for the marriage!

Matthew being in the RA is very good - hopefully you can find his service record (try FMP)

Mary is Mary MACKAY

I note Patrick (and Peter just above him) died in an explosion in the Lucknow pit in Stevenston! Hopefully local press records will give more detail

Patrick and family were living at Townhead Street Stevenston
                      Last edited by Bertie; 23-11-12, 18:27.

Comment

I can't read it all, because the writing's too small, but it says that Patrick (and the man named in the previous certificate, Peter Woods) died in some kind of explosion, presumably at the colliery where they worked (in Lucknow, I think).

Comment

Snap

Comment

Aww no. Looks like I'll be going back to that Scottish Mining Website for another look at those Lennon deaths then.

Comment

There are matches in Armagh for the baptisms of Edward and MaryAnn Lennan with parents Patrick Lennan and Mary Larkin. There's also a marriage for Patrick and Mary in 1840. I don't know how much detail these records contain, so I've no idea whether it's worth buying a few credits to get more information.

Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Ireland. Irish Genealogy research center - Irish Family History Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                Why did I never think to use Scotlands People in the first place?
                                His Father is called Mathew. There's a mention of Soldier in the Royal Artillery.
                                His Mother is called Mary. Bother are Deceased.

Hopefully some of you may be able to help transcribe some of it.
                                Patrick's at the bottom.

Rather than take up all the space I'm making the link open into a new page.
                                http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1353693587
                                It's too small to read and can't be enlarged any further. Can you take a snip of the relevant section and enlarge it please?
                                Margaret

Comment

Explosion of fire damp at a bore hole

From Main body of report: This accident took place at a borehole which the deceased and other workmen were in the act of putting down from the "waste" of the "five-quarter" coal to prove the position and quality of the seams underlying. The depth of the bore from the pavement of this seam was about 11 fathoms.

It would appear that, on the day of the accident, and a short time before it took place, a "cutter" or open rent in the strata, had been intersected by the bore, and a quantity of firedamp, evidently existing under considerable pressure, forced itself up through the bore-hole and the water which was in it, and lodged in a high part of the roof immediately adjoining.

During this extra discharge the ventilation at that place was found insufficient, and though the borers had retired when the gas first made its appearance, they had afterwards returned, or ventured nearer to it, when it is supposed that the firedamp had ignited at an unprotected light, either belonging to one of the borers, or to the breaksman employed at a short distance to the "dip" of the borehole.

Taken from: http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/Indexes/1862deaths.html

Comment

Have managed to get a bigger version and it seems to say 'injuries received in an explosion of ....... in Lucknow Pit in the parish of Stevenson on 18th July.

The death entry above is the same.

You might be able to find something about it in the local newspaper of the time.

Margaret

Comment

The cost is 5 euros so marriage record at least could be excellent value if parental details are included!

Comment

I've already found everything that I need Margaret :D

Comment

Working...
                                        X