Meaning of TAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of TAP

I have a reference taken out of the Chelmsford Chronicle which reads as follows quote Henry Churchyard, who for a time kept the White Hart TAP at Chelmsford unquote.

This appeared in the Chronicle of Feb 18 1853.

In this context does the word TAP mean a hotel/tavern/ale house please.

David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

My Father in Law used to work in the Ventnor Tap when he was a young man in the 30's and it was just like any ordinary pub of today.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy, had the feeling it may have been a slang word for pub but wanted to make sure.

David
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The 'brewery tap' (as far as I've understood) is a pub that is right next to it's brewery so the beer should always be fresh! I first cam across this when I lived in Dudley and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands, where Hansons and Banks' were sited respectively. I don't know if this fits with local knowledge from chelmsford but it might be worth looking into.

Ayse

Comment

As well as pubs, there were also smaller ale-houses and beer out-houses where drink was served off tap into jugs etc for consumption off-premises.
          When I was a child, drinks in the village pub were served from "the tap room." This was positioned between the bar and the lounge, and drinks were dispensed through hatches. (It could also be accessed from a corridor - as kids we walked up the corridor, knocked on the door, waited for service and then bought crisps, pop or sweets for consumption off premises.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Isn't a tap a beerhouse? Like a pub but not licenced to sell spirits.

OC

Comment

Isn't it a place where the beer is "on tap"? That's what the beer comes out of?

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by ayse View Post
                The 'brewery tap' (as far as I've understood) is a pub that is right next to it's brewery so the beer should always be fresh! I first cam across this when I lived in Dudley and Wolverhampton in the West Midlands, where Hansons and Banks' were sited respectively. I don't know if this fits with local knowledge from chelmsford but it might be worth looking into.
                There's also a "Brewery Tap" pub in Luton, close to the long-closed Flowers (later Whitbread) brewery in the middle of Luton.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X