Forces War Records site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forces War Records site

Has anyone browsed or subscribed to this? If so, I'd be interested in your views on the site.

Is the information just an accumulation of what can be viewed already on existing subscription sites such as Ancestry & FMP, or are there additional records/databases for consultation?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

It's not free of course but it went straight to the person I typed in but I already have the record.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the site. I think everything is available elsewhere.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

See this discussion from a week or so back.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks all - don't think I'll bother with a sub.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Guys:
            I work for this site, I can clarify that the collections list (viewable from the home page without need to register or pay) will show sources of records for you.
            You can see from these there are several unique collections other sites don't have.

I take on board and freely accept there will be 'free to the user' data sources elsewhere or course, however not everything or even a significant part of the data on the site (or FMP/Ancestry for that matter) could be entirely sourced at no cost.

Some stuff we all know is pretty easy to get, others are harder, some are downright impossible, depending on the original sources availability and whether it's been digitised at all.
            We transcribe and scan up to 100,000 records every month, some of these works are then placed in our 'historic documents' section/library that users can browse at their leisure.

Some of these documents are the same as above: some are easy to get and cheap to buy, others are rarer, some are perhaps prohibitively expensive for the solo researcher.
            The searching facility will always be free on FWR: for most this means you can narrow down the likelihood of finding what you want with no up front cost.
            We're also happy to answer queries on our free forum pages on the site or via the help desk, we can do look ups of certain documents we have also.

We have an independent, accredited researcher who will visit various repositories on clients behalf to do the in depth specific research that some users will want, he knows his way around the TNAs vast collections and can scan and photograph original documents also, not all users want this in depth service, but it's there for those who do.

In the meantime I am always happy to receive PM's here or our help desk will always help you via the site.

Comment

Thankyou for your input, Timbo - always good to hear "straight from the horse's mouth" as it were.

Perhaps the way forward for me should be to spend some time going through my existing records to see what I have (and for whom!) in order to identify the many gaps there are, especially for "career" soldiers, before embarking, initially, on a one month sub, which I could renew if (and as) needed.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

thanks Timbo I joined some time ago as I cannot find a couple of peoples war records , sometimes the name is not found on one site but easily found on another so its good to have as many options as possible.

Comment

Working...
                X