Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage look up please

Hi all,

I'm trying to find the marriage of Thomas Byatt and his wife Amelia. I have looked in the marriage records plus LDS and the old IGI.

Thomas Byatt and Amelia i have on the census returns as far back as 1851 living in Whepstead, Suffolk (1851 incorrectly listed as Byett). I can't find them on 1841. Their oldest son on 1851 is Arthur aged 13 so he should be on 1841 with them.

On 1851 Thomas is listed aged 31 born in Chedburgh, Suffolk, and Amelia was older aged 38 born in Whepstead, Suffolk.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cpdavis35; 20-11-12, 23:16.
    Craig

there is a Marriage for a Thomas Byett in Dec 1838 Thingoe Suffolk 13 1161

Comment

I think they are listed as Bryant in 1841, living in Whepstead. His wife is Milly possibly a nick name for Amelia.
      Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        Thanks val, does it say who it is he married?
        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
          I think they are listed as Bryant in 1841, living in Whepstead. His wife is Milly possibly a nick name for Amelia.
          Moggie
          Thanks so much Moggie..i'll see if it transcribed as Bryant on GR...
          Craig

Comment

Thingoe is the correct registration district for Whepstead. There was no Amelia listed amongst the three females on that page but there was a Mildered Boucham. If she was known as Millie then "officialdom" could have variously assumed she was actually Mildred or Amelia.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks again Val, i don't have a paid membership for Ancestry so will look the census up on GR and see if i can pick it up as Bryant as it's not under Byatt or Byett.
              Craig

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                Thingoe is the correct registration district for Whepstead. There was no Amelia listed amongst the three females on that page but there was a Mildered Boucham. If she was known as Millie then "officialdom" could have variously assumed she was actually Mildred or Amelia.
                Thanks JudithM for the info.
                Craig

Comment

The eldest son Arthur, is 3 in 1841, 13 in 1851 and 23 in 1861 so very consistent in recorded age which would mean he was born between about early 1837 and June 1838 .... most likely in 1837. He may have just missed the introduction of civil registration. Any likely marriage would therefore be pre 1837 ( unless Arthur was born illegitimately of course).

However, a birth certificate for one of the other children should give you the maiden name of the mother Amelia which will make tracing the marriage so much easier.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The SFHS is a group of keen amateur genealogists whose objectives are to promote and encourage the study of family history, genealogy, heraldry and local history with particular reference to Suffolk.

Link to the Suffolk Family History Society above. I don't think that you have to be a member now to ask for a search.
                    Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                      A Mildred Byatt age 73 was buried at Whepstead St Petronilla on 19th February 1885 so it looks if you are on the right track.
                      Moggie

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

Thanks all for the information.

Moggie, thank you, another avenue to go down .
                          Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X