mid-18th century HURDEN in Dorset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid-18th century HURDEN in Dorset

Help! Please! I have an Ann HURDEN marrying Thomas DUPREE on 25 Sep 1786 in Christ Church, Spitalfields. So far, so good. However... it seems likely that Ann HURDEN came from a Dorset family, all of which are very difficult to unravel and stitch together properly. Ann was likely born close to 1762, and she died Mile End Old Town in 1828. I have no more information about Ann.

Does anyone already have some info on the HURDENs of Dorset, especially in the villages between Bridport and Weymouth?

I live near Portsmouth, so we could fairly easily go to Dorchester to examine records if necessary, but since we also have a Worlwide membership of Ancestry, it shouldn't really be necessary - or should it?

All ideas welcomed!
    Brian.

Have you checked the Dorset parish records on Ancestry

also Dorset Wills/Probate records
    Elaine

Comment

I'm interested in your DUPREE name.

It appears in my CHRISTMAS tree as a given name - always, as far as I've found, for a female.
      • Charlotte Dupré BICKERTON, b 1852q3 Alton 2c-113, (d/o Richard BICKERTON & Charlotte née CHRISTMAS). She passed it on to her daughter, Annie Dupree CLEGG b 1879q2 Stepney.
      • Dupre(e) CHRISTMAS, b ca 1873 Farringdon/Farnham (depending on the census), (d/o Henry Pafoot CHRISTMAS & Martha Ellen née BEAGLEY)
      • Anne Dupre CHRISTMAS, b 1 Dec 1871 City of London, (d/o James CHRISTMAS & Anne née WATSON)

I haven't found it in the parents' generation, but all three of those - Charlotte Dupré, Dupree, and Anne Dupre - were grandchildren of Eli CHRISTMAS (b 1806 East Worldham, d 1886) & Anne née FOSTER (b 1805-06 Hampshire, d 1849). Anne FOSTER's mother's maiden name was PAFOOT - hence Henry Pafoot CHRISTMAS's middle name. I haven't spotted DUPRE(E) in the CHRISTMAS tree, itself, so I surmise that it may be in Anne FOSTER's tree somewhere, in the same way that PAFOOT was one of her family's names.

I'd be interested if you found how the name turned up in a Hampshire family!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by brianofcava View Post

I live near Portsmouth, so we could fairly easily go to Dorchester to examine records if necessary, but since we also have a Worlwide membership of Ancestry, it shouldn't really be necessary - or should it?
        Wonderful as Ancestry is as a resource, it only has a tiny fraction of the material available that can help put families together. The limited information in parish registers as you go futher back often means you need to find evidence in a number of sources to confirm family links ... wills, property deeds, settlement /removal orders and a host of others..... you will find all this type of stuff at the records offices.

What is the information you have that links her back to Dorset ?
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Have you tried searching in here?
          Dorset Online Parish Clerk OPC Transcriptions Family History Genealogy
          Joy

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all of these notes. I'll try to reply in full...

First to Joy Dean: No, I had no idea that opcdorset.org existed. I have had a quick look, and it certainly seems likely to give me some answers...
            and similarly to Elaine: Thanks for the pointer which I have not yet followed. I shall do that as soon as I have posted this note.

Second to AnthonyM: I have no "information" about Ann HURDEN - it is simply that any search shows huge numbers of HURDENs in the villages from Bridport to Weymouth. The question does arise: How did Ann and Thomas meet? But I already have a similar question about a Daniel MILLO ancestor, a weaver in London (I'm Brian Millo, by the way), who married Elizabeth KIPPING, a fruiterer from Tring. (I might be getting back to you on this, as Tring is not a million miles from you!)

Finally to Christine in Herts: It looks to me as if your DUPREE instances are attempts to preserve a family surname - this is happening currently to us, as our (first) grandchild is likely to have CASWELL as the last of his given names, in order to preserve our daughter-in-law's surname. In my case, the nearest direct link is to Mary DUPREE / John RANSHALL, my 5g-grandparents (m.1742), weavers in Spitalfields. (I have a closer link by marriage to my 3g-grandmother, Susanna WRENCH, who married twice.)

Your DUPREE examples, therefore, would have descended through what might be one of my collateral lines. However, if you are interested in any of the earlier stuff that I have, please just ask - I won't throw it at you un-called for, however! I have a KIPPING relative in Australia with whom I am working on the DUPREE/CASH linkage.

Incidentally, my MILLO surname was originally MILLOT, from the Huguenots of Picardie who fled to London in the 1680s. In case you don't know, there's a brilliant Protestants in Picardie website, and this address http://www.roelly.org/~pro_picards/prop/index.html takes you directly to the header-page of the main stuff.

Thanks again to you all - I think I might have some extra work in front of me now... ...!
            Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by brianofcava View Post
              Thanks to everyone for all of these notes. I'll try to reply in full...

<snip>
              Finally to Christine in Herts: It looks to me as if your DUPREE instances are attempts to preserve a family surname - this is happening currently to us, as our (first) grandchild is likely to have CASWELL as the last of his given names, in order to preserve our daughter-in-law's surname. In my case, the nearest direct link is to Mary DUPREE / John RANSHALL, my 5g-grandparents (m.1742), weavers in Spitalfields. (I have a closer link by marriage to my 3g-grandmother, Susanna WRENCH, who married twice.)

Your DUPREE examples, therefore, would have descended through what might be one of my collateral lines. However, if you are interested in any of the earlier stuff that I have, please just ask - I won't throw it at you un-called for, however! I have a KIPPING relative in Australia with whom I am working on the DUPREE/CASH linkage.

<snip>

Thanks again to you all - I think I might have some extra work in front of me now... ...!
              Brian.
              Thank you Brian

I'm glad you think that, too. It seemed to me to be the only likely explanation for its multiple appearances like that. It does intrigue me that it's perceived as a feminine name, though.

Since it doesn't appear in my CHRISTMAS tree, and the common ancestors were Eli CHRISTMAS and Anne née FOSTER, I'm inclined to think it's in Anne's tree, somewhere. I'd probably better not hijack your thread, but I would be interested to see if there are any likely names in your tree which could tie in to mine. I'll PM you with an external e-address, so that you can send me something more easily... unless there are droves of DUPRÉ researchers champing to read what we might post!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Brian

It does appear to be a name very limited to Dorset, Wiltshire and some in Cornwall (according to the distribution in the 1881 census). If a HURDEN moved up to London there should be a good chance of finding some record of settlement certificates - I would start with the area around Spitalfields.

Having a quick look at the LMA records on Ancestry , there is certainly a John HURDEN in the Stepney area of London in 1760. Once you consider alternative spellings (Herdin, Hurdon. Herdon etc.) there are quite a few other possibilities.

She may take a bit of tracking down...
                Last edited by AntonyM; 21-11-12, 16:01.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                X