Coats Cotton Manufactures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coats Cotton Manufactures

I'm really puzzled here. Many people on the Lennon side of the family have mentioned the Surname Coats who where manufactures of fabric. Apparently a female Coats married someone named Lennon that was below her Status and was dis-inherited and never mentioned again in the other side of the family.

Looking at the years of Coats Cotton I can see that it is close to the furthest Lennon that I have gotten to- Bernard and his wife Sarah. Oddly enough I haven't found anything about her family yet.

How on earth am I meant to find out if this "story" is true?
    Any ideas please?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

what I would do is progressively work backwards confirming with certificates until you do get back to the Coats name that you are interested in, then I guess its a case of google and searching the vast amounts of info that is 'out there'.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I had a similar rumour to deal with in my niece's tree (an ancestor who was a director of the Joseph Lyons tea company). You just have to work both ends to the middle. I worked on the families who were involved in the Joe Lyons company, and I worked on the ancestors in her tree. I got there in the end. It turned out that her great-grandfather had married Joseph Lyons's first cousin.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'll just keep on trying to find what I can. I'm not particularly fussed about the Lennons anyway.

Comment

Comment

I think I may have figured it out. Bernard & Sarah's son Patrick married a woman named Mary Larkin (we already knew that)

What we didn't know was that in the 1951 Census Mary is head of the house with 3 of her 6 children. Whats interesting is that Mary was a COTTON SEWER!!! :D

Maybe it's a myth that started through that, or she worked for the above company....

Comment

Glad you've got that sorted!

I'd recognised the name "Coats" more for cotton thread than for cotton fabric.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-11-12, 14:03.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's a common enough thing for myths to grow out of tiny grain of truth - in my family my maternal grandmother was a Harper and her family were newspaper and book publishers in Cheltenham - that fact has been transmuted into a connection to Harper's Bazaar!

I have yet to find a connection even though I have got back to 1742 on that line!

But it all makes for interesting research and speculation which is what this hobby is all about.

Margaret

Comment

I'm still trying to figure a few mysteries out on Mum's side.

Comment

I should own up to my mother's idea that we were connected to royalty because she has LANCASTER in her tree... no evidence for a royal connection yet!

Christine

Comment

haha christine, it's probably descent from edward III!

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        I should own up to my mother's idea that we were connected to royalty because she has LANCASTER in her tree... no evidence for a royal connection yet!

Christine
                        It's probable that everyone born of English ancestry has royal connections, however most will be tentative, The population of England in 1000 was about one million, earlier obviously much less. As the so called 'gentry/royals' back in year dot took their wicked way with peasants up and down the land, and sometimes even married them, who knows from where we descend. Proving it is almost impossible pre 1500's. The royal family of today do not connect directly to 'royals' of over 1000 years ago, the royals then split, some becoming Royal Scottish. And, we must also consider we can follow female lines, but not necessarily male lines, eg - most of us can be certain who our grandmothers were but can we be certain of our grandfather's? Isn't family history interesting?

Your mum may just be right Christine, but perhaps not via the Lancasters' but who knows?
                        Last edited by Guest; 22-11-12, 02:59.

Comment

there was an article a few years ago that said 3/4 od europe descended from the plantagenets, hapsburgs or valois. when you think about, it makes sense. they are the largest medieval dynasties.

Comment

Working...
                          X