Odd situation on Ancestry ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd situation on Ancestry ...

I had an odd situation occur with Ancestry.ca this week. I was researching my 3x ggrandfather and Ancestry pointed me to a member story by another member, but the story & her tree were private. I sent a message explaining the individual was my ancestor & expressing interest in her data and her interest in the family. All very normal, and that message is in my Ancestry Sent mail.

The next day I got an email from the member--from her home email address, readily displayed on my email. It had come thru Ancestry as in the body of the message it included their logo & some standard boiler-plate inviting me to her tree, plus her personal note, and with operative links allowing me access to her tree. I was surprised to see an email directly from her, and had never seen a message like that with links to click on to access her private tree. When I did access her tree I was surprised to see that living persons were still shown as Private even though she had invited me as a guest. That message from her never appeared in my Ancestry account.

I responded & we are communicating outside of Ancestry but both of us are confused. She responded to me via Ancestry and it obviously was routed thru Ancestry, but something has gone wrong with their process. This appears to be a violation of privacy and raises concerns about Ancestry's security protocols. While I have no worries about my new-found cousin, I wonder if anyone else has experienced breaches such as this?

I did phone Ancestry.ca and the young lady I spoke to had never heard of such an event, and confirmed that as a guest I should be able to view living individuals. She could only file a notification with Ancestry advising of the details. I asked to be advised of the outcome but she didn't sound confident that I would be.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences, or other breaches?
    Last edited by Prairie Chicken; 18-11-12, 19:47.

Well, I guess no one has had any similar experiences.

As an update, after speaking to Ancestry the first time, I remembered she had asked if I was still getting mail in my Ancestry account. I had not received a message from another member since mid Sep, despite having sent off several inquiries to other members. I asked my 'new' cousin to send me a message in Ancestry & sure enough--nothing came in. I called Ancestry again & they said they'd send me an email giving me instructions to "enhance my Ancestry experience" which meant changing settings for cookies and Flash. I didn't receive their email. Another call, another try, and this time I got the email, spent hours resetting the PC, and got my new cousin to send another Ancestry message. This time--success! However, I didn't receive any other messages which would have come before I reset the computer. Any that did (I know my cousin had sent a couple that never showed up) seem to have been lost forever & that's too bad as someone out there may think I've ignored their message.

This all came up when I received that email directly from my new cousin. Apart from that, Ancestry was working fine for me.

Submitted FYI, because sometimes all doesn't work as planned, or as it used to.

Comment

Had similar couple days ago, from person had been in contact with for a while, but who had problems with tree on line and synch with FTM so had to redo and sent me invite, as you it came straight to my email and as yet not showing on my Ancestry thing.

Comment

PC - I think this thread is not getting noticed because of the section that it is in. Often this kind of topic is placed in Research Advice or in General Discussion. If you'd like, and I hope you will, you can ask a Mod to move it for you.

I was distressed a while ago when I realized that invitations that I sent to my tree to Ancestry IDs were being sent with my email account. I've found no way to turn it off.

I believe seeing living people is a setting for each invitee to a tree. It doesn't matter which role has been assigned.

However - I can't be sure, because I try NOT to keep information about living people in my ancestry trees. I've had personal & family data displayed for public viewing - Ancestry has fixed that particular glitch - but I have no faith in their security.

Comment

Thread moved to Research forum!
          Elaine

Comment

Working...
          X