X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project set to reveal conscription truths

News from the WDYTYA Magazine site, which may be of interest:

Project set to reveal conscription truths

Family historians will be able download thousands of WW1 records for free following completion of a major digitisation project next year

The records of almost 9,000 men who appealed against military conscription will be made available to download for free following completion of a major digitisation project next year.

Held at The National Archives (TNA) in Kew, the 162 volumes of case files were created following the introduction of the Military Service Act, which came into force in March 1916 
and required all unmarried males between the ages 
of 18 and 41 to be conscripted into the armed forces.

Although the majority of papers for England and Wales were destroyed, sample records of the appeal hearings from the Central Tribunal in London and the more complete Middlesex collection were kept as a representative sample. Analysis of the collection has already revealed 
some surprising statistics, debunking many myths about the men who applied for exemption and often had to appeal against tribunal decisions.

Whereas attention has regularly been drawn towards conscientious objectors – men who refused 
to fight for moral, political or religious reasons – the overwhelming majority of those who submitted their applications in fact did so on grounds such as economic hardship or ill health.

Just 577 out of the 8,791 
case files actually relate to conscientious objectors – under seven per cent of the sample. More commonly, the men were business owners who already found themselves facing financial ruin after their employees and male relatives were sent abroad.

Matters were complicated further when liability for military service was extended to married men in May 1916. While private companies are still submitting tenders for the digitisation process itself, much of the preparation work is being undertaken by volunteers, who are helping to conserve and prepare the fragile records for scanning. Throughout its duration, the project will be funded by TNA, along with The Friends of the National Archives and the Federation of Family History Societies.

Upon completion in November 2013, researchers will 
be able to download scanned images of the papers via TNA’s Discovery Catalogue, free of charge.

I'd be really interested to see if my Errant Grandfather figures there - I suspect not! I reckon he just emigrated.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have a Great Uncle who may be amongst this lot, so I shall wait with great interest. He is one of my missing ones and a family myth has one who tried to evade conscription, age 43 but had been in the army previously so..... we shall see.

Janet

Comment

I bet there will be uncovered some weird and wonderful excuses as to why they shouldn't be called up. Could be quite interesting. Don't think there is anyone in my family,

they were either in the army prewar and full time or joined up quite early. Unfortunately 3 of them paid the ultimate price.

David
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

My family is similar - mostly too old or too young. One joined up and died at the Somme.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X