Arthur Fell c 1802 Dublin, Ireland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Fell c 1802 Dublin, Ireland.

He's a great great Grandie and a big girls blouse for causing me all this aggro.
    How do I knock this wall down...........................the little information I have on his origins is stated above and gained from 1851 Wales Census' and beyond HO 107/2497/136/19. Can anyone wave a magic wand for me please?

Have you tired familysearch.org for any records of birth and marriage?

Margaret

Comment

Hello Margaret, Family Search only shows census results and I have these except 1841 which wouldnt help much. I realise I havent much chance with so little detail...............hence the wish for a magic wand

Comment

There are some Dublim Baptisms here:

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for the Site Wendy; nothing initially but I'll spend some time there.

Comment

GR has two people with this name Allan and one of them is you, have you made contact with the other person (Gillian)

Edna

Comment

Hello Edna, I didnt contact me on GR and the other one is, family, I think

Comment

OK Allan,

I also checked FS for births but nothing found

Edna

Comment

was dublin a large city then? just thinking, a few years ago, i hired a researcher to look at baptisms for clare in the national library at dublin. they have microfilms of all the registers. he didn't find anything for me, but maybe if dublin is smallish, a researcher might be the way to go? unless a trip to ireland is in order?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    was dublin a large city then? just thinking, a few years ago, i hired a researcher to look at baptisms for clare in the national library at dublin. they have microfilms of all the registers. he didn't find anything for me, but maybe if dublin is smallish, a researcher might be the way to go? unless a trip to ireland is in order?
                    Yes, Dublin is a large city and I think it's also a county so many records to go through. The records are coming online slowly so eventually they may all be there for us to see.

Margaret

Comment

Dublin City may not have been large back in 1802 though Dublin County has always been a large county! However,the population of Ireland was a lot more back then than it is now!! Back then it was around 9 million, whereas now it is only about 4/5 million. Many were lost to famine and disease between 1820 and 1840's and then many emigrated all over the world!
                      Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 17-11-12, 18:24.

Comment

My worst fear was that he was born in the County rather than the City. I dont think I will ever know because I'm sure, as in most searches, there will be a few Arthur Fells and wont know which is correct........................how do I get in touch with H. Potter esq?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                          I dont think I will ever know because I'm sure, as in most searches, there will be a few Arthur Fells and wont know which is correct........................how do I get in touch with H. Potter esq?
                          Alan,

Be thankful you are not trying to locate Murphy/O'Neill! Are you looking for Protestant or Catholic records? If Protestant then the good news is that the Protestant records can go back to the 1600's, but the bad news is that it was most of the Protestant records that were lost in the forecourt fires of 1922!

If Catholic, then the bad news is that most Catholic records do not exist much before 1820 with a few counties having records to about 1790, with one or two records back to 1760. However, the good news for Catholic records is that most of these survive in all the catholic churches all over Ireland, so key into a church, never mind a place or county and you are home and dried! Have you tried Genuki for Dublin City and Dublin County to see how far back the various church records go?

Although they do say that copies of the Catholic Church records exist on microfilm at Dublin National Library they are not all deposited there! I searched a townland for my ancestors at Dubln NL without any success, but when I came across a fragment census of 1851 for this area I was certain this was my family, and wrote to the church and they came up with marriage and baptisms of children which were not in Dublin NL so... you can strike lucky. Have you tried all fragments of Census for Dublin of which there are a few and Genuki Dublin should throw that up? Griffiths Valuation might also give hints as to where the name Fell is coming from so you might get some hints there. Griffiths is 1850's but looking for the names might help. Tithe Aplotments are about 1820's and would be better but not everybody is on TA, though some Fells might be on there, giving you a clue. Everybody is on Griffiths but not everybody is on TA so TA is pot luck.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 18-11-12, 11:14.

Comment

Thanks Janet, I'll chase up those suggestions. As far as I can tell the Fell's are Protestant, he says without real conviction. He married a Liverpool girl named Ann Jones (groan groan) in Neston, Cheshire 1828 at a Protestant Church and all family marriages afterwards were in Churches of the same persuasion.
                            Why a girl from Liverpool should come across the Mersey to marry a man from Ireland is a mystery I'll never know and another story altogether.

Comment

Not him, but may be related?
                              http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../a62c980298273 Baptism of THOMS ARTHUR FELL of N/R on 30 May 1833
                              Joy

Comment

He married a Liverpool girl . . . Why a girl from Liverpool should come across the Mersey to marry a man from Ireland is a mystery I'll never know and another story altogether.
                                There are other threads that have mentioned that those immigrating from Ireland often went to Liverpool first as they left Ireland. Maybe he met her there, then went on to find work elsewhere, and once established, she joined him? Or he visited family living there and met her?

Then again, speculating about ancestors' lives is very easy, but rarely fruitful!
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-11-12, 17:52.

Comment

Photofamily,

I think Alan may be being a little facetious here as perhaps only those who know Liverpool might understand! If you notice Alan lives on the Wirral, just over the River Mersey from Liverpool!! Hence his remark!

Janet

Comment

Ooops, sorry!

Comment

Photofamily,

I am married to a Liverpudlian, so I am aware of their peculiar sense of humour!! There was a book by Helen Forrester called "Twopence to Cross the Mersey". It was an interesting book showing the differences between the Liverpool side and Cheshire on the other side! Alan will probably come back at us now!

Janet
                                      Last edited by Janet; 18-11-12, 22:46.

Comment

He married a Liverpool girl named Ann Jones (groan groan) in Neston, Cheshire 1828 at a Protestant Church
                                        Don't forget , that until 1837 he had no choice but to get married in an Anglican church, even if he (or she) were Catholic. If they were RC, there may be a record of another ceremony in an RC church on or around the same day.
                                        Last edited by AntonyM; 19-11-12, 08:59.
                                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                                        X