William Henry Balkwill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Henry Balkwill

I need help please, I have today received the marriage cert of William Henry Balkwill aged 28 (bachelor) (father John dec'd) and Eliza Bessie Furse 31 (widow) on the 5th Dec 1903.Dartmouth, Devon.
    Eliza's husband Joseph died 1902 in Dartmouth, her maiden name was Follett. I am unable to find William anywhere on the census. I sent for the marriage cert because I had found a death in Dec 1903 for William Henry Balkwill aged 27 but his death is recorded as 3rd Dec 1903 Ugborough, Devon, he was previoously in Plymouth Asylum. On the 1911 Census Eliza is using Furse as her name living with her son Henry Edward . Eliza remarried in 1916 to Albert H Gifford.
    My problem is that William that died in 1903 can't be this William, but I can't find him anywhere else. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

sunny x

1911, Teignmouth.

There is a William Henry age 32, married, labourer on farm. He's not with his wife on the census. Could he be yours, what does the marriage cert say for his occ? There's other Balkwills with him, probably his siblings.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
      1911, Teignmouth.

There is a William Henry age 32, married, labourer on farm. He's not with his wife on the census. Could he be yours, what does the marriage cert say for his occ? There's other Balkwills with him, probably his siblings.
      And his father's called John in the 1881.
      Class: RG11; Piece: 2170; Folio: 123; Page: 23;
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Susan and Phil. Looks as though that may be him . He's on the 1891 including his sister Lily. A witness at his wedding was Lillie Balkwill. So now I wonder did he and Eliza divorce or did he die? I will search.

sunny x

Comment

Just found the death for John Balkwill .transcribed as Balkwell in 1893. On the 1911 William Henry's Mum is E so she's Elizabeth widow of John? more than likely. also just found Albert Henry Gifford's will, he died in 1960 and administration was to Edward and Bertie Furse who were Eliza's grandsons. So just have to go out to the records office to verify all that we have found now. TRhanks again

sunny x
          Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 16-11-12, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
            I need help please, I have today received the marriage cert of William Henry Balkwill aged 28 (bachelor) (father John dec'd) and Eliza Bessie Furse 31 (widow) on the 5th Dec 1903.Dartmouth, Devon.
            Eliza's husband Joseph died 1902 in Dartmouth, her maiden name was Follett. I am unable to find William anywhere on the census. I sent for the marriage cert because I had found a death in Dec 1903 for William Henry Balkwill aged 27 but his death is recorded as 3rd Dec 1903 Ugborough, Devon, he was previoously in Plymouth Asylum. On the 1911 Census Eliza is using Furse as her name living with her son Henry Edward . Eliza remarried in 1916 to Albert H Gifford.
            My problem is that William that died in 1903 can't be this William, but I can't find him anywhere else. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

sunny x
            Ugborough is where the Plymouth asylum was: http://www.plymouthdata.info/Hospitals-Moorhaven.htm

I'm aware of this because one of OH's ancestors was farm bailiff for the asylum farm.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-11-12, 23:19.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just found the death for John Balkwill .transcribed as Balkwell in 1893. On the 1911 William Henry's Mum is E so she's Elizabeth widow of John? more than likely. also just found Albert Henry Gifford's will, he died in 1960 and administration was to Edward and Bertie Furse who were Eliza's grandsons. So just have to go out to the records office to verify all that we have found now. TRhanks again

sunny x
              Quite a lot of the Plymouth & West Devon Records Office resources (which include Ugborough) are on FMP.co.uk
              But you may be already aware of that.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-11-12, 23:21.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Susan and Phil. Looks as though that may be him . He's on the 1891 including his sister Lily. A witness at his wedding was Lillie Balkwill. So now I wonder did he and Eliza divorce or did he die? I will search.

sunny x
                It's most unlikely that he divorced, divorce was very expensive and would be unaffordable for a Farm Labourer.

Comment

Christine the death cert says he was in the Plymouth Workhouse before he went to the asylum. Another scenario is that Eliza married Albert Gifford bigamously as I can't find a death for William Heny Balkwill.I think I'll send for the marriage cert for Eliza and Albert Gifford.
                  sunny

Comment

Annoyingly just lost a part-prepared post, because I clicked on the wrong link! Grrrr!

Anyway - "William Henry BALKWILL", even though unusual is not unique as a name, so you will have to do some sifting. FMP has a couple of Devon FHS wedding transcriptions with images (P&WDRO as a source, I guess) for that name (probably two generations, by the name/dates combinations) but they're both in Plymouth.

FreeBMD has a marriage in 1900q4 in Newton Abbot, which looks like Eliza Bessie's previous one - i.e. there's a Joseph FURSE and an Eliza Bessie FOLLET in the list of names for that reference. I don't know if there would be any clues in that one.

Christine

Comment

Well I have received the marriage cert for Eliza Bessie Balkwill and Albert Henry Gifford 9/4/1916 it clearly states that she is a widow, and their address was in Paignton,Devon. Oh Eliza speak to me where did William go???

sunny x
                      Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 21-11-12, 13:56.

Comment

Well I have received the marriage cert for Eliza Bessie Balkwill and Albert Henry Gifford 9/4/1916 it clearly states that she is a widow, and their address was in Paignton,Devon. Oh Eliza speak to me where did William go???

sunny x
                        Who were the witnesses?
                        Was it by licence or by banns?

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine in the United Methodist Church, Paignton,witnesses C Cotterell and G Tucker

sunny x

Comment

No obvious clues in the witness names - unless you recognise them as part of the family.

I asked about Banns/Licence, because a Licence was a standard way of marrying without drawing too much attention to the parties involved. That could be useful if you were worried that someone might know that your previous spouse was actually alive and well and living a couple of villages away! Divorce was out of reach for most people until comparatively recently.

Christine

Comment

I took another look at William and Eliza's marriage cert, one of the witnesses was John James Tucker, his name is on the same line as Eliza's as in her marriage with Albert, where the witness is G Tucker, I have found John james on the census, he may only have been a friend of Eliza. Stiil looking at all avenues!!

sunny x

Comment

I took another look at William and Eliza's marriage cert, one of the witnesses was John James Tucker, his name is on the same line as Eliza's as in her marriage with Albert, where the witness is G Tucker, I have found John james on the census, he may only have been a friend of Eliza. Stiil looking at all avenues!!

sunny x
                                Worth keeping an eye on that. I had a BICKERTON witness to an ancestor's wedding. He turned out to be a SiL, and married to the eldest daughter of whom I'd lost track. Following her turned up another missing sister a census or so later.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                X