Help please re FMP world sub - access to newspaper archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please re FMP world sub - access to newspaper archives

Hi everyone, I have the FMP world subscription, but i'm unable to access the British newspapers! is there a specific way in or can you not access on the world membership? thanks jane

As far as I know, the British Newspaper collection is only available through www.findmypast.co.uk - not via the world membership at .com
    Elaine

Comment

It has been announced for FMP world as 'coming soon': go to https://www.findmypast.com/ and click the tab marked 'Why findmypast'. I'd be interested to know how soon soon is.

Comment

Yes - I have the FMP.com sub - and my Ancestry Premium has just run out, so I shall have to go back to using the library for that. I am very aware of how much of the .co.uk stuff isn't yet on the .com site.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-11-12, 21:43.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I already do have the Worldwide sub for FMP. I did subscribe previously to FMP and when my sub ran out mid October I was able to renew, upgrading to World FMP. I have upgraded on the UK site which now gives me access to all Irish, American, Australian and New Zealand as well as the Newspapers online all of which I am using extensively.

I will also say that I do have Ancestry Worldwide as well so will keep an eye out in case I no longer need that one in June when my Ancestry sub runs out. At present I use FMP far more than I use Ancestry, as I prefer FMP for census and BMD records but I do rely on Ancestry for LMA records and soldiers records from 1914 so I may still need both!!

I did highlight in an earlier thread that you could sample all FMP have to offer for FREE for 14 days by going on to findmypast.ie but surprisingly nobody has really replied and I really thought many might have been interested, especiaslly with the newspapers now on the site!! You may have to give over your credit card details, but as for Ancestry just cancel before your 14 days is up. At least you can get to sample what they have on offer.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 15-11-12, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
            I already do have the Worldwide sub for FMP. I did subscribe previously to FMP and when my sub ran out mid October I was able to renew, upgrading to World FMP. I have upgraded on the UK site which now gives me access to all Irish, American, Australian and New Zealand as well as the Newspapers online all of which I am using extensively.
            I think the difference is that those who subscribed to the Worldwide subscription via findmypast.com are unfortunately not getting the same set of records that are available to those who subscribed to worldwide findmypast.co.uk - which seems rather strange!

Personally, I think it's a shame that Brightsolid don't consolidate their subscriptions a little better. I recently took out a subscription to the British Newspaper archives website - which I don't really need now the newspapers are available on FMP. :(
            Elaine

Comment

they also own scotlandspeople, i don't know why they don't use subscriptions for that. unless it's because they eat up credits and you can't get as far as in english research!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                I think the difference is that those who subscribed to the Worldwide subscription via findmypast.com are unfortunately not getting the same set of records that are available to those who subscribed to worldwide findmypast.co.uk - which seems rather strange!

Personally, I think it's a shame that Brightsolid don't consolidate their subscriptions a little better. I recently took out a subscription to the British Newspaper archives website - which I don't really need now the newspapers are available on FMP. :(
                I thought that everybody worldwide could get the FMP worldwide sub through findmypast.co.uk. I know when I upgraded I was advised to keep the FMP.co.uk as my main page, and access the other countries through findmypast.co.uk. But I suppose that this is for UK members only?

I very nearly did take out a sub to the newspapers on line earlier in the year, but I was saved by the fact I did not really have the time to make use of it, so I resisted the temptation, for which I am well pleased but do feel sorry for those that did take out a sub.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 15-11-12, 11:10.

Comment

I thought that everybody worldwide could get the FMP worldwide sub through findmypast.co.uk. I know when I upgraded I was advised to keep the FMP.co.uk as my main page, and access the other countries through findmypast.co.uk. But I suppose that this is for UK members only?
                  I think the problem is some people took out a special offer annual sub when the FMP.com site was launched .. including me! At that time the worldwide sub was not available on the FMP.co.uk site.
                  It requires a different login and I understood that the subscriptions were not transferable.

I now have an an annual sub to FMP.co.uk (standard UK sub) plus an annual sub to FMP.com (worldwide special offer), plus an annual sub to British Newspaper Archives - all of which are still current.
                  Can't say I am very happy about it now the subscriptions overlap so much - feels as if I have been "done"

Maybe if Findmypast are looking in they might like to comment!
                  Elaine

Comment

I did take out a sub for the British Newspapers but didn't take out the sub to the worldwide FMP, just stuck with the UK one. I did find though (accidentally) that I was able to use up my leftover 1911 credits on some Irish records.

Since the newspaper one was very pricey I am not overpleased about the overlap either!! Though I do find the BN search better because of being able to refine it by date and I did find a birth announcement on FMP which just doesn't come up on the BN site!!
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      I did take out a sub for the British Newspapers but didn't take out the sub to the worldwide FMP, just stuck with the UK one. .........
                      Since the newspaper one was very pricey I am not overpleased about the overlap either!! Though I do find the BN search better because of being able to refine it by date and I did find a birth announcement on FMP which just doesn't come up on the BN site!!
                      Likewise, Caroline.
                      However, as I also research the local history of some villages, the BN site enables me to search using a village name or the name of a building/event. Probably shalln't be renewing for the BN site when my year is up!

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet, have you tried putting the name of the village in the keyword search box on FMP.
                        I find that I can usually add something in it which helps to refine the searches a bit - although it's not as good as the BN search facility.
                        Elaine

Comment

I think the problem is some people took out a special offer annual sub when the FMP.com site was launched .. including me! At that time the worldwide sub was not available on the FMP.co.uk site.
                          It requires a different login and I understood that the subscriptions were not transferable

Thanks for further explanations Elaine. Hm yes I remember the offer, but as my sub was running out in October I decided to wait as there were murmerings about a worldwide sub on the UK site. I now see why so many got caught. :(I almost took out a sub to FMP.ie but again did not have the time so again very pleased under the circumstances!

I also found trouble with accessing places at first on the FMP newspaper site but now having used it a fair few times I actually prefer the FMP site because you do not need to bother with the region or county but just key in a name and I use the keyword box for counties/places, sometimes leaving out one or both and have had some surprises with articles on ancestors living in a different county to where I thought and this would not have been found on the newspaper site where you key in region followed by county and then place but the FMP site really is name indexed with the ability to find places as well when required.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 15-11-12, 14:00.

Comment

...., but as my sub was running out in October I decided to wait as there were murmerings about a worldwide sub on the UK site.
                            Very sensible .. wish I had done the same - would not have ended up with three overlapping subscriptions which are now very hard to justify.
                            Elaine

Comment

I will also say that I do have Ancestry Worldwide as well so will keep an eye out in case I no longer need that one in June when my Ancestry sub runs out. At present I use FMP far more than I use Ancestry, as I prefer FMP for census and BMD records but I do rely on Ancestry for LMA records and soldiers records from 1914 so I may still need both!!

I did highlight in an earlier thread that you could sample all FMP have to offer for FREE for 14 days by going on to findmypast.ie but surprisingly nobody has really replied and I really thought many might have been interested, especiaslly with the newspapers now on the site!! You may have to give over your credit card details, but as for Ancestry just cancel before your 14 days is up. At least you can get to sample what they have on offer.

Janet
                              That really annoys me - because I asked for that and they said it wasn't an option!

It is possible that, at that stage, the option wasn't available, because my price was very low.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X