Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William (James?) Wimpory

Someret look up please.
    I'm trying to fnd a William (James?) WIMPORY, born c 1862, possibly in Yeovil. If he married, that may have been in London to a Susannah Ann Fitzjohn.
    Further, if said WW is from Somerset, details of parentage would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Researching: HOLDSTOCK Kent/Sussex; WILLSON/WIMPORY/GALE Devonshire/TRAPP Wiltshire.

First hit on Ancestry shows in 1901 Census a William Wimpory born Somerset c1861 is living in Manchester. It says he is a Boarder and brother to head and a 'Stick Dresser'...(dont ask?)..................Census ref; RG13/3742/64/13

Comment

The second hit is of a marriage on 9/9/1884 in Bethnal Green between a William Wimpory and Ellen Theaser King. Birth of William is 'abt 1863'

Comment

There is a William Wimpory (b1862) on the 1871 census but born and living in Bethnal Green. - all other Wimpory records seem to be in the same area, with the exception of an entry on the 1901 census showing a William Wimpory in Manchester, born in Somerset....but can't see him in earlier censuses at the moment.

Can't see the marriage you want at the moment, but there is a Susannah Ann Fitzjohn born in 1864 in Hoxton (v near Bethnal Green) but she seems to have married an Alfred Gorton in 1891.

What definite information do you have ?
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

There are a couple of Williams in the London area but searching for a William born Somerset has only been on the 1901 Census.

Comment

I had a quick look at John Hilliard, in case the two boarders had had their PoBs transposed, but in 1891 there's a John Hilliard, 29, in Hackney and born there, who is a walking stick dresser. That does make more sense for the stick dresser employment: presumably doing the finishing to walking sticks to make them into something stylish and saleable.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-11-12, 22:55.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I only joined this site on Monday, so I'm very impresed at getting such prompt replies. Many thanks to you all. Firstly, some of the Wimpory men were employed as walking stick makers, in east London. Secondly, the conundrum concerning WJW. I already have the William married to Ellen Theaser, and this has been established as my family line - hopefully. Other sources have this same William married to S A Fitzjohn, but this been proved incorrect.
              What my cousin and I are trying to establish is, who the Somerset William is and whether or not he is on our branch of the clan.
              I have a potential tree for Somerset William, showing 3 girls and 3 boys, this depends on who he married of course. The eldest girl married a Monro and the eldest boy married a Binyon.
              Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Layclerk View Post
                I only joined this site on Monday, so I'm very impresed at getting such prompt replies. Many thanks to you all. Firstly, some of the Wimpory men were employed as walking stick makers, in east London. Secondly, the conundrum concerning WJW. I already have the William married to Ellen Theaser, and this has been established as my family line - hopefully. Other sources have this same William married to S A Fitzjohn, but this been proved incorrect.
                What my cousin and I are trying to establish is, who the Somerset William is and whether or not he is on our branch of the clan.
                I have a potential tree for Somerset William, showing 3 girls and 3 boys, this depends on who he married of course. The eldest girl married a Monro and the eldest boy married a Binyon.
                Thanks again for your help.
                You aren't the first to be surprised by the speed of the replies, I think! This is a very active forum - and also a very helpful one. I have been on the receiving end of a lot of help myself, and there is a lot of varied expertise that is shared very willingly. When "the team" (an arbitrary title for any group of FTF members getting their teeth into a puzzle) gets going, they can achieve some astonishing results!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi, it's unclear what census records etc you've found as regards William born Yeovil Somerset. It's also not clear whether you have access to Ancestry. I am posting links to Ancestry censuses showing William, if you don't have access please say and the family units can be posted. As yet I haven't found a marriage for him. As you know he's in Manchester in 1901, this is the 1901 for Susan(na) and children. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1

And 1891 for the same family,............ http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11204571

In 1911 Susanna appears to be known as Ellen, I wonder if the 'H' in Susan H A (1901) stands for Helen/Ellen.

Last edited by Guest; 16-11-12, 01:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Layclerk View Post
                    . The eldest girl married a Monro and the eldest boy married a Binyon.
                    As you say Daisy married a Munro, not sure if you have this.............Nellie/Ellen married Thomas Frederick Bye, 25 Dec 1913.

Comment

If you are looking for a William Wimpory born about 1862 in Somerset, simply based on the single 1901 census entry, I would have to be very suspicious - many boarders and lodgers (and servants too) had their birthplaces recorded incorrectly because the head of the household did not know or could not remember properly where their householders were born (and did not want to ask).

If its only the one census entry for a William Wimpory born about 1862 you would have to think its an anomaly and that it is more likely that he was born in Shoreditch or Bethnal Green, as in the other censuses.

There are no freebmd entries (birth, marriage or death) for any Wimporys in Somerset 1850-1900. The nearest name I can see is WEMBERLEY or WIMBERLEY but no WIMPORY or WIMBORY at all.

Diane
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                        If its only the one census entry for a William Wimpory born about 1862 you would have to think its an anomaly and that it is more likely that he was born in Shoreditch or Bethnal Green, as in the other censuses.
                        It isn't only one Diane. He's entered born Somerset in 1891, 1901, 1911 and the 1891 is precise in saying Yeovil Marsh. Like you, I haven't found a birth record in Somerset.

I did find a Jane Wimporary (old enough to be William's mother) born Somerset, living Hoxton London. More research necessary, but she possibly was born Yeovil. I'll look for her marriage.

Something else I noticed - both William's (William married to Ellen, and William born Somerset married to Susanna) had a dau named Daisy and son named Henry/Harry. So could all be related.

Comment

Here's the census for Jane born Somerset.

1871.................... http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=12088589

1881....................http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1

1891.................... http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5511589

1911 ......................... http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ngland&indiv=1
                          Last edited by Guest; 16-11-12, 14:55.

Comment

James Wimpory and Jane's marriage. Jun 22nd 1863, Parish Church, Hackney.

James Wimpory, full age, bachelor, cheesemonger, Church Street, father: James Wimpory (Iron Founder)

Jane Hilburne, full are, spinster, Church Street, father: James Hilburne (Labourer)

James signed, Jane left her mark. Witnesses John Veits???? and Rachel Holding

Comment

I suspect William was born to Jane before she married James Wimpory, and therefore born Hilburne, which of course is a name open to various spellings.

Comment

Think this may be William in 1881, living Shoreditch He's entered as William Melbourn age 25 born Yeovil, Stick Dresser, also with him is John Sangster age 19, Baker, Yeovil. They are entered as visitors, in Fred Sumpson's household, unsure of Fred's actual name it could be Sumpton or even something else.

Last edited by Guest; 16-11-12, 13:07.

Comment

This is probably Jane with her parents and siblings in 1841, the address is Marsh Yeovil. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=13507602
                                  Last edited by Guest; 16-11-12, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                                    In 1911 Susanna appears to be known as Ellen, I wonder if the 'H' in Susan H A (1901) stands for Helen/Ellen.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
                                    Looking at this again, it's possible Susan(na) and Ellen/Nellie's names have been transposed.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                                      It isn't only one Diane. He's entered born Somerset in 1891, 1901, 1911 and the 1891 is precise in saying Yeovil Marsh. Like you, I haven't found a birth record in Somerset.

I did find a Jane Wimporary (old enough to be William's mother) born Somerset, living Hoxton London. More research necessary, but she possibly was born Yeovil. I'll look for her marriage.

Something else I noticed - both William's (William married to Ellen, and William born Somerset married to Susanna) had a dau named Daisy and son named Henry/Harry. So could all be related.

Sorry, I had not caught on that there was more census entries

I think this is Jane Hilborne and son William in 1861 -

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

And this is the birth registration:
                                      Births Dec 1858
                                      Hilborne William James Islington 1b 235

Perhaps he later adopted his mothers birthplace for some reason - perhaps because he knew he was born before her marriage to James Wimpory ? and thought he must have been born before she left home in Yeovil ?

Diane
                                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Here is her parents and brothers Mark, James and Matthew in 1851. Ellen/Eleanor is still at home, but Lucy is in another household as a servant.

Diane
                                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X