Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Boyd (1779ish)

This is my first post to the list

I require some help in establishing where my 4x great grandfather was from I have found information on familysearch.org/eng suggesting that he was living in the All Saints parish in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1779, however I have seen a census in 1841 with the correct wife of Jane stating that he was from Yorkshire. I know that he married Jane Lumsden on 15/07/1804 at All Saints in Newcastle upon Tyne. He had 6 children 3 of which I have dates of birth for. Thomas b. 01/07/1806, Mary b. 05/09/1808 and John b. 10/02/1811, The baptisms for Thomas & Mary both state that he was Tailor and he came from Tanfield in County Durham. I have checked the Parish Register for Tanfield and also the Parish Register of All Saints and there is no record of him in either. There is also a suggestion that he may have been Scottish.

Many Thanks

Mark Boyd

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give the reference for the 1841 census please - can't seem to find it!
    Elaine

Comment

The 1841 census did not give places of birth, just whether they were born in County or not (Yes or No). Are you sure it says Yorkshire and not YES?

OC

Comment

I think this is him in 1841. Looks like he was born in Ireland.
        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11663956

I think this is him in 1841. Looks like he was born in Ireland.
          Moggie
          That was the only one I could find - but I wondered if he was born Scotland rather than Ireland. Looks more like an 'S' to me!
          Elaine

Comment

Hi
            I think you may be right Elaine.
            Just spotted there are more Boyds on the next page.
            Top of page William Boyd with an S & a couple of lines/marks next to it.
            Actually they are living next door to George & Jane so most likely related.
            Maybe we can find him in 1851 to see where he was born.
            Moggie

Comment

I thought Bodi's George Boyd was a tailor? Is that one an engineer, I can't make it out.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I did have a look for 1851 .. but couldn't see him.
                There were a couple of deaths for a George Boyd between 1841 and 1851 in Sculcoates reg. district which could be possibles.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  I thought Bodi's George Boyd was a tailor? Is that one an engineer, I can't make it out.
                  Oh yes, I remember seeing that!!

Mark, you said that baptisms for Thomas and Mary show that George came from Tanfield in Co.Durham. Do you have a source image for that information?
                  Elaine

Comment

Baptism for Thomas - top of page

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....6V:n1029041377

(Hope this works)

and Mary's

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....6V:n1029041377
                    Last edited by ozgirl; 12-11-12, 19:16. Reason: Adding
                    Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda.
                      Elaine

Comment

The George living is Sculcoates is not my George Boyd as all his children were born and died in Newcastle and his wife Jane according to the baptisms of Thomas, Mary etc all say that she was born in Painshaw (possibly Penshaw) in Co. Durham and her dad was called Thomas which ties in with information that I have. Ah well back to the drawing board i'm afraid

Many Thanks

Mark Boyd[QUOTE=ozgirl;2408672]Baptism for Thomas - top of page

Comment

I have found a possible death for a Jane Boyd (nee Lumsden) buried on 04/09/1850 in Northumberland born in 1782 which ties in with my estimation of her birth. How can I prove that this is the Jane that married George in 1804 in Newcastle. This would make her 22 at time of marriage. I am unable to prove their ages as the marriage was pre 1837

Comment

the death certificate will record her husband's name, and an address. assuming she was married.

Comment

Is this the Jane Boyd who died in Northumberland, Dec Q. 1850, in Alnwick district? I think this would be her in 1841 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=8899103.

Her children Francis and Agness are here in 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...eton.ALL.24.16, together with another sister Dorothy, b.1822 in Fowberry. Unfortunately, Dorothy was the daughter of William and Jane Boyd https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....YW9:1524908631, so that looks like it is not be your Jane. Of course to be certain, you probably need to get the cert.
                              Linda

Comment

Mark, you said you had found an entry in the 1841 census with the correct wife of Jane, stating he was from Yorkshire. Can you give us a reference for this census please.

Also you said there were 6 children in total - can we have the names of them all and birth years if you have them. Do you have all the children accounted for in 1841?
                                Elaine

Comment

The children are

Thomas born 01/07/1806 bap 29/09/1806
                                  Mary Born 05/09/1808 bap 02/10/1808
                                  John born 10/02/1811 bap 10/03/1811
                                  George bap 09/01/1814
                                  Elizabeth bap 04/08/1816
                                  Christopher bap 30/03/1819.

All baptised at All Saints

I have a possible death notice from Newcastle Journal for Christopher on 25 Dec 1841 in Greenwich London onboard the Dreadnought Hospital ship.The death notice says that he is the youngest son of George Boyd Tailor late of this town. Not sure about the rest.

Many Thanks

Mark Boyd
                                  Last edited by Bodi; 14-11-12, 16:00. Reason: additional information

Comment

I have a burial for a George Boyd on 27/12/1836 aged 57 who died in Newcastle and he was a Tailor which fits in with the occupation on the baptisms is there anyway that I can find out who the informant was on his death as it was pre registration and also where he was born as I think that this is the person I have been looking for

Comment

Hi
                                      I had spotted that burial in the NBI. He was buried at Ballast Hills Cemetery, but I thought it couldn't be him because you said you had found him in 1841. Have you looked to see if he left a will?
                                      Link to Tyne & Wear Archives http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.u...teries.htm#a15

Moggie

Comment

The George Boyd in 1841 is not him

I have a burial record for him in 1836. He is the right age for my date of birth estimation he also has the right Occupation
                                        Last edited by Bodi; 15-11-12, 21:32. Reason: additional information missing from initial post

Comment

Working...
                                        X