Administration of an estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administration of an estate

I have just come across an entry on the probate lists on Ancestry where the effects of an estate are listed as Nil.
    There is another listing for the same deceased about 3 years later and this time the estate is £4696..3s..3d
    These are in 1938 and 1941 and the name was William Martin Wilson THORNTON.
    What sort of circumstances would these reflect.? How would an estate of Nil be administered?
    These are not family, I found it when searching a similar name.

Gwyn

The first explanation is that at the time of death it was believed the deceased had no assets. Three years later, assets had come to light - insurance, bonds, stocks and shares, property, anything really.

A NIL estate wouldn't really be administered, just registered as such.

OC

Comment

I had an idea that the amount the estate was worth had to be a minimum amount for it to need to go to Probate. I wonder what circumstances would cause an estate worth nil to be in the register? Maybe it was entered retrospectively?

Anne

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts, which echo mine.
        The administration was granted to 2 different people and I couldn't understand how an estate of Nil amount could be registered. The later entry does mention the former one.

Comment

It's late and I'm not thinking straight, can't remember whether it's the NET amount which is registered - in other words, you could leave an estate of one million, but if you had debts of one million, your estate would be NIL.

Correct me, someone!

OC

Comment

Yes, that sounds quite possible I think.
            Anne

Comment

Working...
            X