X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smith's of dalston

My smith nightmare continues

Charles Smith
    bn 1895 in dalston, hackney, london (have bp entry)

Alice Eliza Smith
    bn ot 1900 in dalston, hackney, london ( have got bp entry)

Alfred George Smith
    bn 1904 in dalston, hackney, london (have got bp entry)

Father - Charles Smith
    Mother - Eliza Smith (1858 nee veazey)

Eliza was previously married to robert smith who appears to die in 1893.

I have eliza and robert in all census, but in 1901 eliza appears with an unknown smith along with children from robert and charles and alice. Entry for head looks like E ???

All through the census and baptism records the address is the same, except for on bapt entry for alice and alfred the address changes to another smith household, which is nect door to eliza's mother (veazey) so it is them.

I cant find a remarriage for eliza to another smith but the entry names charles smith as father.

so can anbody please please find them in 1911, the seem to have just disappeared, i know that 99% of this side of the family stayed in dalston all their lives (gt uncle bobby started as a stall holder in the local ridley road market appx 1896 and remained there until his death in 1943).
    Lorraine

I agree the 1901 census entry for the head of household looks like E Smith but it's quite likely that the enumerator couldn't read the household sheet and the initial on the original was a C for Charles. Capital C and E in cursive writing are quite similar.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The nearest I can get is an Eliza Warby in Hackney 1911 with children Charles, Alice and George, births match

Have found a marriage

Hackney
      County: London
      Year of registration: 1907
      Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
      Charles Warbey
      Eliza Smith
      and 2 others of course

Census says married 16yrs but that covers children's births as I have found as a white lie before. Could be totally wrong but can't find anything else
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine you are an absolute star, if there was a smiley of a million dancing bananas i would post them all.

This is them alright, and just goes to prove that sometimes you are looking at the biggest clue but just cant see it, and one of the rules to go back to the root.....they are just a couple of doors away from where they were all 3 born.

Looking a bit deeper has revealed that alice married the son of one of her mother and robert smiths marriage witnesses - how bizarre

Thank you so very much
        Lorraine

Comment

I just kept looking at it, wondering between the births and father's occupations/age.
          Got to ask, what was Alice's surname when she married
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            I just kept looking at it, wondering between the births and father's occupations/age.
            Got to ask, what was Alice's surname when she married
            hi Elaine

Alice married name appears as boorman, i have been checking back through my records and certs and have many variations on it, though the predominant version is boreham. The census all relate to the same families
            I also have boreman, boerman, boorham, boeharm.

Most of my smith birth and marriage took place in Dalston at St Marks/St philips and all branches of the family never strayed very far from each other all through their lives, I would say the area only encompasses appx 6 roads - 1 particular house passed down from father to 1st son over 3 generations and was eventually destroyed in WW2, that side then ventured into stoke newington and stamford hill which then became part of Tottenham.
            My Smiths became the first people to open a greetings card shop chain way back, we still have some of the original cards and they are tiny things appx 2inches square, (I have found some amazing info and artifacts from my family being held at the hackney and tottenham archives)

But smith's being smith's they are so difficult to piece together with absolute certainty, so guess work is a big no no.
            Lorraine

Comment

Working...
            X