Lilly stockdale Masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilly stockdale Masters

I am trying to find lilly stockdale Masters on the 1891 cencus. the info i have is as follows

B: abt 1870; Thrapston, Northamptonshire
    M: 20 August 1898; Seckington, Warwickshire
    D: 27 December 1924; Bournemouth, Dorset, England

i can not find her or her parents in 1891.

Father was William Hooper Masters a Doctor born in 1838 died 1905, and her mother was Jane Hammond.

They were living in Northamptonshire in 1881, and in 1901 parkstone dorset.

I am also trying to find her husband to be in 1891 and 1901, i think he may have been at sea but i cant seem to locate him anywhere, his name was George Humphrey James Chesshire and the details i have for him are below

B: March 1854; Headon, Nottinghamshire
    M: 20 August 1898; Seckington, Warwickshire
    D: 25th May 1924; Bournemouth, Dorset

Any help would be great i just cant see for looking anymore.

Thanks
    Suzie

The family is in Parkstone transcribed on Ancestry as Maston

RG12, piece 1639, folio 95, page 32
    Jackie

Comment

thank you so much

Comment

Re George Chesshire, I presume you have seen his masters and mates certificates on Ancestry. I've found a long complicated article in The Liverpool Mercury on 7th June 1890 titled "The salvage of The City of Paris". From what I can understand the City of Paris was a passenger vessel that sailed to America and got into difficulty. The Aldersgate was a steam ship which carried cargoes of cotton from Galveston to Liverpool and with other ships came to the aid of and towed the Paris. George Humphrey Chesshire was the Master of the Aldersgate and evidence from him was given in writing at a hearing about damage to his ship. He wasn't at the hearing because he "had since gone to sea".

I presume that's why he doesn't appear on the censuses
        Jackie

Comment

wow thank you so much

Comment

I am descended from Lilly's sister, Julia Jane Masters. I have a lot of information on the both the Masters and Hammonds families. Lilly's names come from her paternal grandmother, Ann Lilly and her maternal grandmother, Julia Elizabeth Stockdale. The Stockdales were a prominent family in Bristol during the 1700s and early 1800s. There were three generations all named Peregrine and their live stories would make a very good TV drama series.

The first Peregrine (? - 1742) was a slave trader who sailed the Bristol - West Africa - Americas triangle at least eight times over a period of 16 years. One of his ships, The Berkeley was described as a 120 ton ship with 14 guns and 40 men. During that period he transported an estimated 2,450 slaves to America. There is little mention of other cargo though in 1733 it is recorded that he returned to Bristol with almost 16 cwt of ivory. His death is not clear, there is no record of burial and also there no record of his ship after it last reached America on 8th October 1740. His will was proven in 1742 so I assume he and his ship were lost at sea.

His son Peregrine (1732-1787) was involved in state sanctioned piracy. In 1757 he and group of Bristol merchants purchased a captured French privateer, the Invincible, 500 tons, 36 nine and four pounder guns and a crew of 300. In December 1757, the Invincible retook a large brigantine from Virginia from London and sent her to Kingroad. The cargo of another prize, the Elizabeth, from St. Domingo, consisting of 100 jogsheads of white sugar and 70 casks of coffee, was sold in April 1758. In August 1758 she took the Dutch ship Endrought, 350 tons, from St. Eustatius, and sent her into Falmouth, returning to Bristol in November. The Invincible was then sold at auction on 23rd July 1759. Four letters written by Peregrine to his wife who was staying with her aunt in Drimpton are held in the Bristol Record office. The first, dated 29th April 1778 talks about their son, Peregrine, and daughter, Hannah, attending a party and later Hannah riding to Bath with her friends. He seems to have been involved in the local assizes as also he related the details of several trials. The second letted, dated 21st August 1779 and talks about the war and the threat of invasion by the French and Spanish, who had a large fleet sailing in the Channel with the intent of landing on the Isle of Wight with the intent of then attacking Portsmouth. The third and fourth letters, dated 24th and 27th January 1781 talk about the upcoming election. The 1781 bye-election in Bristol was caused by the death of one of the sitting MPs. George Daubeny, from a family of sugar refiners, stood against Henry Cruger. Daubeny won the seat. Peregrine Stockdale supported Daubeny.

His son Peregrine (1759- 1838), Julia Elizabeth's father, was a land owner and a director of the Bristol Dock Company between 1816 and 1832. He owned extensive landholdings in the village of Berrow in Somerset. This may have been connected with a scheme to develope a harbour at the east end of Brean Down which would have meant development all around Brean and Berrow and a new spur of the railway. All this happened well after Peregrine's death but as the scheme dates back to at least the 1840s it is possible that he did buy up land in advance of the scheme.

Comment

What a fantastic result.................well done all.

Comment

An amazing amount of information, thank you for sharing. I am researching all the people with the Chesshire surname and came across your post from 6 years ago. Kind regards, Sue McKoy nee Chesshire

Comment

Working...
                X