20th century java research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th century java research

i realise expertise in this area may not exist on the forum, but googling brings up nothing.

my 2nd great grandmother's sister was margaret twyford. she was in the salvation army and stationed in java, where in 1901 she married jacob gerrit brouwer and had a daughter melattie (1903-1998) who authored a book on the history of java. margaret died in 1932 in java.

what i want to know is, can i get a copy of the marriage, deaths and melattie's birth? as i said googling tells me nothing.

Wow, Kyle, definitely non-trivial. wikipedia points out the different colonial powers over the time period. That and wars may have obliterated records if they had existed at all.

British births & deaths overseas? I would guess taht both would have needed passports?

And - contacting the Salvation Army. Good luck.

Comment

There are some links on this page to Indonesian resources - http://www.kindredtrails.com/indonesia.html
      Towards to bottom of the page are Forums / Message Boards / Mailing lists - might be worth asking there if you haven't done so already.
      Elaine

Comment

sorry forgot to say margaret was australian. i have emailed the salvation army archives in melbourne, maybe they can point me in the right direction.

Comment

Hi Kyle, my ancestors were from Indonesia and it can be quite difficult to get information, very little is on-line. One site that I did find helpful, though a lot of trawling was involved was this one : http://kranten.kb.nl/ which is Dutch newspapers from 16th century to 20th century, including dutch colonies. At the moment, though it doesn't seem to be working for me - typical! OH it's partly working now, will keep trying.

Do you know whereabouts in Java they were?
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Bit of info on Jacob on this page:

http://www.historici.nl/Onderzoek/Pr...tie/3200489382

If you click the Archive button, some info on the records
            Last edited by ozgirl; 10-11-12, 09:48.
            Linda

Comment

hi,

no i don't know anything about their lives there. it's just in my grandma's notes they were there. since grandma knew melattie, i assume she would have known more, but i can't see anything.

i'll check that link thanx.

Comment

Going back to your original query, I would think it would be quite difficult, if not impossible to get copies of the documents. My father was born in Indonesia, and it took a lot of time to get a copy of his own birth certificate when he needed it, as a lot of the records were destroyed either in WWII or when the Dutch left the country. The eventual copy we received was written on rice paper, and I think in Indonesian, although it could have been Dutch. Some of the records have been filmed by the LDS for viewing at their centres, it might be worthwhile having a look here

https://familysearch.org/eng/library...&columns=*,0,0
                Linda

Comment

I wonder if the place she came from would have something in their newspapers? The church/congregation might have included news about her?

If Salvation Army circulars would have included reports of the missionaries?

Also, hmmm, a bit early for this kind of thing, but I wonder where Melattie attended school? I know in India & the Phils there were missionary boarding schools for missionaries' children to attend. Or possibly she might have been sent back to Oz for school?

And another thought, related to the first one I posted: I doubt Melattie was a citizen of Indonesia, so at some point a government would have been presented with her birth information to prove her citizenship, and probably obtain a passport. What nationality was Jacob? Do you know Melattie's nationality?
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-11-12, 16:03.

Comment

4 collections
                    Historical Record Collections

* = Recently added or updated
                    These are all browsable on Familysearch

Edna
                    Last edited by clematised; 10-11-12, 17:14.

Comment

i don't know what nationality melattie was. when she retired, she came to australia. that comes from her funeral leaflet. she appears with the family in australian photos so if she didn't live here before her retirement, she definently visited often.

jacob was dutch born, so i guess melattie was indonesian? aren't you whatever nationality of the country you were born in? or is that just america?

thanx edna, but i don't know where in java she was from, or when she was retired.

Comment

Each country has its own rights to citizenship laws. Generally for the US, if one of your parents is a US citizen at the time you are born, you may claim US citizenship regardless where you were born. And yes, if you are born in the US, you may have the right to claim US citizenship regardless of your parents' nationalities.

I suspect she could have claimed both Australian & Dutch citizenship - and may have had dual citizenship. I doubt she tried to claim Indonesian, but possible. Wonder where she spent WWII? And Australia's visa requirements are pretty tight for foreign nationals, so she retired to Oz, she probably was a citizen. Given that her birth was so long ago, and that she is dead, can you get any info from the government?

Comment

you just gave the idea sarah, to search our national archives, and there are many hits for mellatie's arrival in australian territory, all claim her as dutch nationality.

Comment

they seem to be like visas, applications to reside on aussie territory. but only one was online, which gave her birth date and place, semarang, java, indonesia. i found the same records for her mother, which said she was dutch national too. so i guess they're records would be in dutch?

Comment

Jacob was born in Dieren in the Netherlands, and at the time he was in Indonesia it was a Dutch Colony, so Melattie would automatically have been Dutch. My GGF was born in Semarang, but unfortunately I have not yet found any records for that area. A lot were destroyed when Indonesia gained independence after WWII. Any records from that time would be in Dutch, but if they do have copies in Indonesia they would now be in Indonesian.

P.S. My GGF from Semarang is my biggest brick-wall, 4 years so far (since I started), so if you do find something please please let me know :D
                              Last edited by ozgirl; 11-11-12, 10:40.
                              Linda

Comment

i will linda, but you've dashed my hopes!! maybe the netherlands have archives for indonesian records like the british ones have for the world......or like the east india company has it's own archives.

ifi can find the mission jacob was on, maybe they have archives?

Comment

So far I haven't found any online Kyle. The Dutch National Archive in The Hague does have a lot of records, but they seem to be mostly on Microfiche - day trip to the Netherlands anyone?
                                  Linda

Comment

Going off topic here - looking around for Kyle, on the Dutch National Archive site, I found a scanned copy of my Grandfathers Prisoner-of-war record in Indonesia, giving details of when and how he died. I may not have found it otherwise, so thank you Kyle
                                    Linda

Comment

A link for you with a photo.....

EDIT.....Will pm you it in case of copyright, Kyle
                                      Last edited by Tilly Mint; 11-11-12, 13:34. Reason: removed link
                                      Jacky

Comment

The newspaper site seems to be working now

found this :http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id...3Ap003%3Aa0048

They only seem to use intials for people, this is the marriage for Jacob and Margaret, took place between 12th and 18th August 1901 in Semarang
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X