Photo Restoration and identification of motor bike please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Restoration and identification of motor bike please

This photo is of my Dad and brother with their parents, I guess in the early 1920s (my Dad is the younger boy and was born in 1915). Could someone please clean it up for me? Also if any motorbike enthusiasts out there can identify the bike that would be a bonus
    Joy

? Rudge?

Comment

One from me Joy
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

2 from me

Love that seat with the springs ~ looks comfortable and highly dangerous !

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-07-09, 10:03.
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

motorbike.

Originally posted by Joy Lewis View Post
          This photo is of my Dad and brother with their parents, I guess in the early 1920s (my Dad is the younger boy and was born in 1915). Could someone please clean it up for me? Also if any motorbike enthusiasts out there can identify the bike that would be a bonus
          Joy, I have restored your photo and will send it to you if you give me your email. Mine is Phil.norcis@btinternet.com it has come up pretty clear. Phil.

Comment

is that a sailors cap the boy is wearing by the front wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
              is that a sailors cap the boy is wearing by the front wheel?
              Looks like it James ~ here's an enlargemant ~ think it says HMS BLENHEIM

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Many thanks for the fab restorations! I think it will become one of my favourite photos - never seen by me before, until my cousin sent it to me a few days ago. Yes, the sailor's hat does say HMS Blenheim, but I don't know the significance of it. I've found another photo of the motorbike, taken from the other side, which might help with identification as you can just make out some wording. I think it says 'New .....'
                Joy

Comment

Motorbike

Hi Joy
                  New to this so please bear with me. I have given the photo a once over. I don't think it is as good as some of the others, but here goes.

Martin

Looking at how this has attached I think I need some guidance
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh Joy that's a nice one too

Can't read what it says though ~ pixellated when enlarged ~ but you could try rescanning it, this time increasing the scale %

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-07-09, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by martinc View Post
                      Hi Joy
                      New to this so please bear with me. I have given the photo a once over. I don't think it is as good as some of the others, but here goes.

Martin

Looking at how this has attached I think I need some guidance
                      Hi Martin and welcome to FTF

Have a look at the "How To Guides' ~
                      Click on this

Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum

Comment

That one was emailed to me by my cousin, so I'll ask him to rescan it and send it back. What size should I ask him to do?
                        Joy

Comment

seriously BIG

Comment

Not a Rudge James but it is a New Imperial Motorcycle. New Imperial's were made in Birmingham between 1904 and 1939.

don

Comment

From the left-hand side picture one can just see that the marking on the petrol tank is New Imperial. And from the size of the engine it looks like one of their early 1920s V-twins.
                              If you Google you should be able to find plenty of images to compare it with.

Comment

If you goggle HMS Blenheim there is quite a bit about the ship 1890 - 1926.
                                I was going to post it on here but had second thoughts about copyright.

Comment

Sincere thanks for the information on the motorcycle and on HMS Blenheim. I see there is a New Imperial Owners Association, so I'm thinking of e-mailing the photograph to them for verification. Thanks so much again for your help.
                                  Joy

Comment

I think they are doing an exhibition at some time and welcome photos

Comment

I've been in touch with the New Imperial Owners Association, who have confirmed that it is a Model 8HP V Twin. They even told me that the price of a complete combination with apron to the sidecar was 178 guineas; the motorcycle only was 140 guineas. What I want to know is where my Grandad got hold of 178 guineas! :( Thanks again to all for their help.
                                      Joy

Comment

To whoever is interested in the sailor hat with HMS Blenheim on it, I have a photo of three children with my mother who was a teacher in the 1920s. One of the children is wearing the hat. Were your family in Alberta where my mother was teaching?

Comment

Working...
                                        X