Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Alfred Charles Barnett

Hello

I'm trying to find out what happened to my uncle Alfred Charles Barnett. He was born in March 1897 and appears on the 1911 census, aged 14, together with father Charles Alfred, mother Louisa, brothers Ernest and Albert and sisters Louisa and Ada. Ernest died in 1914 and I remember the others from when I was growing up. However, I can't find any trace of Alfred Charles after the 1911 census and, given that my father was named Alfred Thomas in 1912, I assume that Alfred Charles must have died. My father never ever mentioned an elder brother with the same first name (or possibly he was called Chrles Alfred) so I assume he must have died before my father was born but I can find no record. I have searched most places I can think of with no luck, but being relatively new at this, I my have missed something important. Can anyone help?

Hello AngieS
    first of all, you have not said where he lived, that might help, I did find a death in 1912 Coventry for a Alfred M Barnett aged 14 wich could fit depending on date of birth, there are no others who fit.

Give members as much detail as you can for them to help.

Robert

Comment

Hello Robert
      Thanks for the info. He was born and lived in Holborn, London, so the Coventry entry doesn't look likely, but thank you for your help.
      AngieS

Comment

Hello Angie,

do you know if any of his brothers or sisters ever married? [he might have been a witness to their marriage] do you know if he served in the Army or not?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

this looks like it could be his birth registration

Name: Alfred Charles Barnett
          Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1897
          Registration district: Holbron
          Inferred County: London
          Volume: 1b
          Page: 793

cant see a baptism though I did see one for Ernest William
          Julie

Comment

Can you confirm that these are the right 1901 and 1911 census entries for the parents please

If so and assuming that Alfred Charles was the oldest child, do you know where he is in 1901? I was wondering whether he was a patient somewhere. Ernest and Walter died young so there may have been some sort of illness in the family
            Jackie

Comment

Hello Darksecretz

I know that one brother died aged 14 and the second never married. Both of the sisters married and both brothers born after 1912 married, so I could look at those. I'm still puzzled though, as to why my grandparents would call two sons by the same Christian name if both survived. My dad, Alfred Thomas, lived until 1968. That's why I have assumed that the earlier Alfred Charles died before my dad was born - between 1911 census date and Sept 1912. Perhaps I shouldn't assume anything until I have proof!! I have searched some Army records in the hope that he may have joined up, but no luck. He seems to have just disappeared.

Comment

it might be that they forgot they already had one named Alfred... especially if AC was known as Charlie, so not to confuse with his father... I have been looking but not finding much yet..
                Julie

Comment

Yes, that's the right birth registration, but I can't see a baptism either.

Comment

I suppose they could have got confused over names, they had so many children back then!

Comment

There is this baptism in the name of Charles born January 21st 1897. Do you have his actual date of birth?

(Did you see my other post above - I think we posted at the same time so you may have missed it)
                      Jackie

Comment

I'm having a little difficulty acessing the two above. Will keep trying and let you know. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yes, that's the one birth certificae confirms 21st January 1897.

Comment

Do you have access to Ancestry?
                            Jackie

Comment

Yes I have access to Ancestry and have found AC's birth entry and an entry on 1911 census with parents etc, strangely he doesn't appear on 1901 census, so your suggestion that he may have been a patient somewhere is a good one. Do you know if I would be able to find in-patient info somewhere on Ancestry?

The two links you sent; were they to specific entries?

Comment

Hi

The 2 links were to the 1901 and 1911 census entries for the parents plus some children.

I have a theory about this and would be interested to know what anyone else thinks.

There are 2 BMD entries in London about the right time for Alfred Charles Barnett - the birth in Holborn and then a death in London City in Q/E Dec 1898 for a 1 year old. I can't find any other birth that could be for the child that died.

In 1901 Alfred Charles is not with the parents

In 1911 they say they have had 6 children - 5 still living, one died. There are 6 children listed on the census and what looks like the enumerator has crossed through in red ink over Walter George and written 'dead'. Do you know that Walter had died by the 1911 census? I can see a birth entry in Q/E March 1910 Shoreditch but no corresponding death entry.

My theory is that the 1898 death is for your Alfred Charles and in 1911 the enumerator crossed through the wrong child. Obviously if you know that Walter had died by 1911 then my theory is wrong.
                                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                  Hi

The 2 links were to the 1901 and 1911 census entries for the parents plus some children.

I have a theory about this and would be interested to know what anyone else thinks.

There are 2 BMD entries in London about the right time for Alfred Charles Barnett - the birth in Holborn and then a death in London City in Q/E Dec 1898 for a 1 year old. I can't find any other birth that could be for the child that died.

In 1901 Alfred Charles is not with the parents

In 1911 they say they have had 6 children - 5 still living, one died. There are 6 children listed on the census and what looks like the enumerator has crossed through in red ink over Walter George and written 'dead'. Do you know that Walter had died by the 1911 census? I can see a birth entry in Q/E March 1910 Shoreditch but no corresponding death entry.

My theory is that the 1898 death is for your Alfred Charles and in 1911 the enumerator crossed through the wrong child. Obviously if you know that Walter had died by 1911 then my theory is wrong.
                                  That does sound like a very good hypothesis Jackie
                                  Julie

Comment

Hi Jackie
                                    I think you may have solved it! I had an uncle Walter George, who was alive in the 60s, so your theory that the wrong child's name was crossed through on the census is probably right. I had accepted that the child whose name had been crossed through and noted as 'dead' was correct and that my grandmother had had another child and named him Walter after the original Walter!

Am I right is assuming that the next step would be to get a copy of the 1898 death certificate for Alfred Charles to see if the parents' information agrees with the birth information?

Angie

Comment

Phew looks like we could be on the right track

Yes I would get the death cert and that should have the father's details on as the deceased was a child. I don't know whether you have ordered certs before but please use the GRO (link below) which should cost £9 something. There are a lot of places that charge considerably more.

I'd be interested to know if its right when you get the cert
                                      Jackie

Comment

don't forget that any member of the family [who was present] could have registered the death, it might have been the mother, I have one instance where a 1yr old died and his brother who would have been about 15 registered his death.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X