No announcement yet.

Searching for Alfred Charles Barnett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But it should have "Son of ..." in the occupation box regardless of who registered the death

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I'll get back to you as soon as I have the certificate.
      Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks Julie, I'll bear that in mind. Many thanks for your help. I'll post when I get the cert and let you know the result.

Comment

Hello Jackie & Julie

I said that I would get back to you and let you know how I got on with the death cert for Alfred Charles Barnett. Well, I ordered the certificate and the result has left me a little baffled. A while after placing the order I received an email from the GRO together with a refund. They stated that there was no trace of Alfred at the reference I quoted. I rechecked my order, just in case I had made a typo and not noticed, but no, everything was correct as on the original image, where I got the details. I'm really puzzled. Have you ever come accross this problem? If I go to London and check the records for myself am I going to get the same result? I'm assuming that the original image record that I looked at on Ancestry is the same one that they hold at the Records Office. Or am I wrong in assuming this? Have you any ideas?

Angie

Comment

Strange that this entry does not appear on freebmd either ???
            found on fmp
            Last edited by loltel; 23-11-12, 13:57.
            Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
              Strange that this entry does not appear on freebmd either ???
              found on fmp
              I'm confused Are we talking about the same entry? Alfred Charles Barnett aged 1 London City Q/E Dec 1898? If so it is on FreeBMD.

I've looked at the image on Ancestry and both images on FreeBMD and they all say the same. I have heard of this happening to other people when they gave a lot of information and because the info the GRO holds doesn't match exactly, they don't issue the cert. Until recently the GRO charged 2 different amounts (if I remember correctly), the normal rate and a higher one if you couldn't provide the reference. They then put all their charges up but did away with the higher charge. I'm wondering whether a less is more approach might work - perhaps leave out the ref numbers. This will take longer but might work. There is an online contact form under the 'Contact us' section on the GRO site which may be worth using but I have no experience of how helpful they are.

Normally I would suggest contacting the local register office instead but Islington, who cover London City, won't issue anything before 1912.
              Jackie

Comment

would have helped if i didnt search 1998
                Lorraine

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll try the less is more approach and see what they come up with! That's half the fun of family history research - the challenge!!

Angie

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                    would have helped if i didnt search 1998
                    :D:D

Originally posted by AngieS View Post
                    Thanks for that. I'll try the less is more approach and see what they come up with! That's half the fun of family history research - the challenge!!

Angie
                    Fingers crossed (again) :D
                    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by AngieS View Post
                      Hello Jackie & Julie

I said that I would get back to you and let you know how I got on with the death cert for Alfred Charles Barnett. Well, I ordered the certificate and the result has left me a little baffled. A while after placing the order I received an email from the GRO together with a refund. They stated that there was no trace of Alfred at the reference I quoted. I rechecked my order, just in case I had made a typo and not noticed, but no, everything was correct as on the original image, where I got the details. I'm really puzzled. Have you ever come accross this problem? If I go to London and check the records for myself am I going to get the same result? I'm assuming that the original image record that I looked at on Ancestry is the same one that they hold at the Records Office. Or am I wrong in assuming this? Have you any ideas?

Angie
                      Did your order show exactly what was on the index reference you found? If you added anything or spelled something wrong they won't issue the certificate. Even if the index information is wrong to you knowledge you must still quote it exactly.

I would be tempted to go back to them and tell them where you got the index reference and see what they say. There must be a registration against that reference.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret
                        I kept a copy of my order and a copy of the original entry and double checked to make sure I hadn't made a mistake. I will contact them again to see what they say. Thanks.

Angie

Comment

Working...
                        X