Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnamese Family History

Hello

I have an American/Vietnamese friend who is very interested in tracing her family tree.

However she is very despondent as she says she has 'paid professionals' to research it in the past and has got nowhere. (I have not yet seen the work that they did for her but hope to soon, maybe at the weekend)

What do you think, is it possible to trace this kind of history?

Many thanks

Debs

The USA bit might be possible but Vietnamese?? don't know if they have any online resources. You might check familysearch.org as they cover the world.

Also have a look at the Reference Library on here (top left tab) for any links etc from other members.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-05-12, 18:11.

Comment

I'd imagine the Vietnamese side will be very difficult, not least because Vietnam was war torn for twenty years and whatever civil records existed were probably destroyed. There is also the language problem.....

OC

Comment

exactly what I thought and pretty much what she has already been told

many thanks

Debs

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any system of civil registration in Vietnam, so any records would be religious ones I suppose.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            There doesn't seem to be any system of civil registration in Vietnam, so any records would be religious ones I suppose.

OC
            If the religious records have survived, they may well be formidably good. I believe that Indian subcontinent records go back a very long way in considerable detail.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is nothing in the FTF ref library, however I will recommend that she joins here, for support if nothing else

Thank you

Debs

Comment

Vietnam came under French rule from about the mid-19th century to 1954, so I assume French civil registration records would have been kept during that period.

Comment

Ah, looks as if civil registration was mooted in 1956 and now each household is required to keep a family record as well as reporting to the authorities.

I can't find anything referring to civil registration records before 1956.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X