Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
    I was querying the death more for his approx birth year of 1846 that the year of his death :D Yes Elaine, I definitely think Margaret has been out for lunch ;)
    My whole life is 'out for lunch'!! ROFL
    Disregard my ramblings today please - sorry Steve I've lost the plot!!
    Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      My whole life is 'out for lunch'!! ROFL
      Saves having to cook!

I've just been working through the CWGC again but can't find a Charles Ward that fits what we know.
      Elaine

Comment

• Thanks for looking Elaine

No need to apologise Margaret and I can ramble with the best of them lol

Steven

Comment

• No I did look at those earlier today and we have searched the military records on ancestry but nothing conclusive.
          The problem is we have a headstone that shows his name but can't see the rest of it due to a bunch of flowers in the way.

I think Steve will have to wait to get some more info from his new contact.

Margaret

Comment

• Post 110 from Judith - she visited the records for me and found births for Charles and Rose

"I've made a start at the records office though not sure if his helps r confuses. I looked at ST Thomas's baptism register from when starts in 1890 right through to 1900 and couldn't find Elizabeth or Isabel Ward.

Clara and Charles DID have two children baptised there in 1897 but not Elizabeth and Isabel -
            On October 27th 1897 Charles Harold, born 8th October 1896 and Rose Agnes born 10 Sept 1897 were both baptised at St Thomas' West Ham, parents Charles William and Clara Ward, father's occupation labourer, address 78 Sandel Street.

I had time to look through the registers of All Saints West Ham, from 1894 to 1897 but no sign of any of the family.

Post is so long now and I just remembered - thanks Judith

Steven

Comment

• What if they meant that he died during the 1st world war but not IN it? I keep thinking that the way people seem to talk about 'our poor Charlie' reminds me of how my family used to talk about 'our dear John' (who died 2 weeks before his 21st birthday). It sounds as though he was possibly a young man. There is a death of a Charles Ward in July-Sept 1918 (born c1896) aged 22 in Lambeth ref 1d 211.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Just seen the above re Charles HAROLD - sorry - back to the drawing board
                :op.s. Perhaps they talk about poor Charlie because of the WAY he died? The other likely ones I can find didn't die around either war and were in the 50's age bracket onwards.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-12, 21:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  What if they meant that he died during the 1st world war but not IN it? I keep thinking that the way people seem to talk about 'our poor Charlie' reminds me of how my family used to talk about 'our dear John' (who died 2 weeks before his 21st birthday). It sounds as though he was possibly a young man. There is a death of a Charles Ward in July-Sept 1918 (born c1896) aged 22 in Lambeth ref 1d 211.
                  As you have found this is unlikely to be the one we want as they always lived on the Essex side I believe. Charlie's name has been added to a gravestone for someone who died in 1939 so it's all a bit odd. There is no record of him being buried in that grave so the thought is that he was simply commemorated on the stone and therefore maybe died abroad but he is not on the CWWG site either.
                  Margaret

Comment

• Sorry Margaret, I'm afraid I'm not very 'up' on the London areas.

Comment

• There is a Charles H death in West Ham in 1921 but it gives his age as 23 and born c1898, so a bit out.

Comment

• just incase you do want to get that b/cert at some point

Name: Charles Harold Ward
                        Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1896
                        Registration district: West Ham
                        Inferred County: Essex
                        Volume: 4a
                        Page: 212

Name: Rose Agnes Ward
                        Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1897
                        Registration district: West Ham
                        Page: 203
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-02-12, 22:08.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Hi Steven
                          Just found a tree on Ancestry for a Mathias James Driscoll born 1886, 17 years younger than Clara. Is this a possibility or is the age gap too large? This is the link.

Moggie

Comment

• just parking this here, it might be relevant:

Name: James M Driscoll
                            Birth Date: abt 1884
                            Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1936
                            Age at Death: 52
                            Registration district: Essex South Western
                            Page: 291

(I know the names are reversed but, it wasn't uncommon for folks to swap their names about) It might be that someone will remember when James died.. this might be a probable.. and/or if we find out where he is buried, maybe Clara is with him?
                            Julie

Comment

• Looks like we are thinking along the same lines Moggie, we know from the 1911 census that James gives his age as 30 I think it was, so gives an est dob as 1881.. but we dont know for sure that he was telling the truth!
                              Julie

Comment

• I wonder, according to that tree.. Matthias James Driscoll was in the grenadier guards in 1915, I wonder if there are any records online for him??
                                Julie

Comment

• Hi Julie
                                  I should have mentioned that the Ancestry tree gives his date of death as 21st Dec 1936 & buried at St Patricks Leytonstone grave No 30 Row 49.
                                  In 1915 he was in the Grenadier guards & his address on 26th Mar 1919 was 201 Vicarage Rd West Ham.
                                  Moggie

Details for above cemetery if we find a link
                                  St. Patrick's Catholic Cemetery
                                  Langthorne Rd
                                  Leytonstone
                                  E11 4HL
                                  Tel: (020) 8539 2451
                                  Last edited by maudarby; 05-02-12, 22:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                    Hi Julie
                                    I should have mentioned that the Ancestry tree gives his date of death as 21st Dec 1936 & buried at St Patricks Leytonstone grave No 30 Row 49.
                                    In 1915 he was in the Grenadier guards & his address on 26th Mar 1919 was 201 Vicarage Rd West Ham.
                                    Moggie
                                    yep I know, I have seen it, so the death ref I have found could well be his then.... (with the names transposed) so what we need now is to see if we can find his GG records... see if they give an address/NOK
                                    Julie

Comment

• If his Grenadier Guards records can't be located on Ancestry - and you want to follow him up there is an alternative for all Guards regiments - copied from 1914-1918.net

The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at

The Regimental Archivist of the [name] Guards
                                      Wellington Barracks
                                      Birdcage Walk
                                      London
                                      SW1E 6HQ.

Some of the Guards regiments require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search.

Comment

• i think asking steve's new contact about matthias driscoll's burial could help. as for charles ward, did you not say ruby was a smith? therefore you would be looking for a charles smith? is there any reason to think it is absolutely charles ward that is mentioned on that headstone?

Comment

• Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                          i think asking steve's new contact about matthias driscoll's burial could help. as for charles ward, did you not say ruby was a smith? therefore you would be looking for a charles smith? is there any reason to think it is absolutely charles ward that is mentioned on that headstone?
                                          Kyle, Ruby was a Smith as she was Ethels daughter (Ethel married a Smith then lived with McKanna), Charlie was a Ward, and as I figure that it was Ethel that had the stone put up it would be right as Charlie was her brother..
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X